PITTSBURGH _ When the Flyers play Pittsburgh in Tuesday’s pivotal Eastern Conference showdown, several players will be trying to break out of prolonged scoring slumps.
- Scott Hartnell has one goal in his last 13 games _ and just two in his last 19.
- Andreas Nodl has two goals in his last 32 games.
- Mike Richards has four goals in his last 27 games.
- Danny Briere has four goals in his last 18 games.
- Dan Carcillo has no goals in his last 13 games.
- Ville Leino has four goals (three in one game) in his last 22 games.
- Nik Zherdev, expected to be a healthy scratch for the 11th straight game, is goal-less in his last nine games.
Pittsburgh has also struggled offensively _ it has a total of three goals in its last three games _ so look for a low-scoring, goalie duel between Sergei Bobrovsky and Marc-Andre Fleury.
Bobrovsky is 27-11-6 with a 2.53 GAA and .917 save percentage. Fleury is 34-18-5 with a 2.28 GAA and .920 SP.
The Penguins have not scored an even-stength goal against the Flyers in their last two meetings. In those games, Pittsburgh has three goals _ all on the PP.
At Tuesday's morning skate, the Flyers spent an unusually high amount of time working on breakouts. They had a season-worst 20 giveaways in Sunday's loss to Boston.
It was one of the most intense morning skates of the season, and you could sense the players know what's at stake tonight.
"It's our biggest game of the year," Carcillo said.
"For both sides, you're getting a game that's as close as possible to a playoff atmosphere," Briere said. "I expect a high-intensity game tonight, which is good. It's good preparation for the playoffs. It comes at the right time."
The Penguins are two points behind the Flyers in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.
* * * *
For constant Flyers updates, follow Sam Carchidi on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BroadStBull.
Get exclusive videos and analysis in our new app for iPhone and Android. Download it here.