After training camp and preseason, here is my prediction for the 53, if the Eagles keep only players on the current roster. However, don't be surprised if by trades or by signings, the Eagles at least two players from outside the organization by Monday's practice.
Of course, these are just guesses. The final five spots on the roster are difficult to predict. Include your roster predictions below:
QB (3): Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Trent Edwards
RB/FB (5): LeSean McCoy, Dion Lewis, Bryce Brown, Chris Polk, Stanley Havili
WR (5): DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant, Riley Cooper, Damaris Johnson
TE (2): Brent Celek, Clay Harbor
OL (9): King Dunlap, Evan Mathis, Jason Kelce, Danny Watkins, Todd Herremans, Demetress Bell, Dennis Kelly, Julian Vandervelde, Steve Vallos
DL (10):Trent Cole, Cullen Jenkins, Derek Landri, Jason Babin, Phillip Hunt, Darryl Tapp, Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Fletcher Cox, Cedric Thornton
LB (6): DeMeco Ryans, Akeem Jordan, Mychael Kendricks, Jamar Chaney, Brian Rolle, Casey Matthews
CB (6): Nnamdi Asomugha, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Joselio Hanson, Brandon Boykin, Curtis Marsh, Brandon Hughes
S (4): Nate Allen, Kurt Coleman, O.J. Atogwe, Jaiquawn Jarrett
ST (3): Alex Henery, Chas Henry, Jon Dorenbas
PUP: Colt Anderson
NFI: Jason Peters, Mike Patterson
-I don't have Antonio Dixon on here. I think he could be cut or tranded. And he might be better for it, because he can play more elsewhere than he would in Philadelphia. He's a good player who's caught in a numbers crunch.
- Pay attention to Demetress Bell and O.J. Atogwe. Bell didn't play well enough and Atogwe didn't play enough to be considered locks.
- I think the Eagles look elsewhere for safety, and possibly at fullback and linebacker. They need to upgrade at backup safety, because Atogwe's injuries could potentially linger this season. At fullback, I'm not convinced Havili won the the job over Emil Igweneagu, and I think the Eagles could pounce on a player they like if he becames available. I'm not convinced Brian Rolle is a lock if they find someone who can help more on special teams.
- I have the Eagles keeping four running backs, because I think one is a valuable trade piece. I have the Eagles only keeping five wide receivers, too, although if they keep a sixth, don't be surprised if it's Mardy Gilyard over Marvin McNutt or Chad Hall.
- I'm not entirely sold Vallos makes the roster because he's a vested veteran. That could be a money decision, and they could go with a younger interior lineman such as Dallas Reynolds.
- Finally, No. 3 quarterback. I'm not convinced that they cut Mike Kafka, but I think it'll be hard to justify keeping him over Trent Edwards. That could go either way.