Our mistake in reporting in an earlier blog post on the Girard end-of-year party to be held on the Ben Franklin Yacht.
The event is for teachers and staff, who will attend for free, with generous underwriting from the Christina and Francis Manley Trust.
Writes Girard College spokesman Kevin Feeley:
- "A group of Girard faculty members have an informal “tradition” of staging their own night out, at their own expense, aboard the Ben Franklin Yacht;
- "Girard normally hosts an end-of-year event for faculty as well, though in the past the event was held on campus;
- "In discussion with a faculty member, a Girard administrator learned about the Ben Franklin event and offered to help the faculty identify some financial support for it. He thought it would be a good idea to offer the night out to all faculty and staff. His motive was simply an offer in recognition of the fact that it has been a very difficult year for everyone connected to Girard, including the faculty;
- "No school funds are being used for the event. Indeed, no money of any kind is coming from Girard College or the Girard Estate for this event;
- "The administrator asked the Girard College Alumni Association if it wanted to serve as a sponsor, and the GCAA declined the request. The administrator then asked alumnus Fran Manley, who has sponsored requests to benefit the faculty in the past, if he was interested in supporting the event, and Mr. Manley agreed."
Our apologies for the previous error.
-- Karen Heller