Sunday, August 30, 2015

The danger lurking inside your remote

You'd never leave spare change lying around within reach of a baby, toddler or little kid. But a new study says that button batteries pose an even bigger health threat to young children.

The danger lurking inside your remote

0 comments
Battery-related emergency room visits among kids reached 5,525 in 2009 – more than double the number in 1990 say researchers from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children´s Hospital in Columbus Ohio. (AP Photo/Frank Boxler)
Battery-related emergency room visits among kids reached 5,525 in 2009 – more than double the number in 1990 say researchers from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus Ohio. (AP Photo/Frank Boxler)

You’d never leave spare change lying around within reach of a baby, toddler or little kid. But a new study says that button batteries pose an even bigger health threat to young children – and they’re easily accessible inside TV remote controls and other devices.

Battery-related emergency room visits among kids reached 5,525 in 2009 – more than double the number in 1990 say researchers from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus Ohio.

Most battery-powered kids’ toys require a tiny screw driver to change the battery – an inconvenience when you’re in a hurry, but a lifesaver for kids. Not so adult electronics. The study found that most ER visits were for batteries from these sources — including watches (14 percent), calculators (12 percent), flashlights (9 percent) and remote controls (6 percent). These coin-sized lithium batteries are also found in musical greeting cards, flameless candles, bathroom scales and electronic car keys. 

Swallowing button batteries is risky enough. The growing use of powerful 3-volt 20-millimeter lithium batteries means kids also face increased risk for internal burns. If a battery’s negative pole comes in contact with fluids in the body, such as in the esophagus, a microcurrent of electricity can generate hydroxide – burning tissue quickly. One study researcher told USA Today that complications can include fatal damage to the aorta. Once burning begins, it can continue even after the battery is removed.

More coverage
 
More in Health: Corbett signs bill to protect student athletes

You can see the effects online. Consumer Reports stuck a button battery between two pieces of moist lunchmeat to simulate what would happen in the body. Within a few days, a hole the size of a quarter had burned through the meat. “Lithium batteries can go undetected and [the swallowing of them can] be unwitnessed,” Ian Jacobs, M.D., a pediatric otolaryngologist at the Children's Hospital in Philadelphia told Medscape. “Symptoms may be rather vague respiratory symptoms easily confused with other upper respiratory problems. It's very important to have a high index of suspicion when things just don't add up.”

How to keep kids safe:

 

  • SEARCH your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain coin lithium batteries. "They're shiny, they're small and children explore things developmentally with their mouth - if they don't know what something is, they put it in their mouth," Nicholas Slamon, MD, a pediatrician who has treated battery-related injuries at Nemours/Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington told Reuters.
  • SECURE coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children. Taping a battery compartment shut may slow down a curious child, but won’t stop them.
  • Lock up loose batteries. Don’t leave them out or in sight.
  • SHARE this video about kids and button batteries with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters. Developed by the nonprofit group Safe Kids and battery maker Energizer, it outlines the problem graphically. Then look here for more info.

 

What if your child swallows one? Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling, and discomfort.  Kids also stick them into their nose and ears. If you think your child may have swallowed a battery, do this:

 

  1. Go to the emergency room immediately. Tell doctors and nurses that your child may have swallowed a battery. If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s package.
  2. Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest x-ray can determine if a battery is present. And don’t try to make your child vomit.
  3. Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333 for additional treatment information.

 

 

0 comments
We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy:

Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
 
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog
The Healthy Kids blog is your window into the latest news, research and advice around children's health. Learn more about our growing list of contributors here.

If you have questions about your child's health, ask them here.

Anna Nguyen Healthy Kids blog Editor
Sarah Levin Allen, Ph.D., CBIS Assistant Professor of Psychology at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Stephen Aronoff, M.D., M.B.A. Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at Temple University Hospital
Peter Bidey, D.O. Medical Director of Family Medicine at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Christopher C. Chang, MD, PhD, MBA, FAAAAI, FACAAI Associate Professor of Medicine in division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology at UC Davis
Katherine K. Dahlsgaard, Ph.D. Lead Psychologist of The Anxiety Behaviors Clinic at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Gary A. Emmett, M.D., F.A.A.P Director of Hospital Pediatrics at TJU Hospital & Pediatrics Professor at Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Magee DeFelice, M.D. Division Chief of Allergy and Immunology at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
Hazel Guinto-Ocampo, M.D. Chief of Pediatric Emergency Services at Nemours duPont Pediatrics/Bryn Mawr Hospital
Rima Himelstein, M.D. Adolescent Medicine Specialist at Crozer-Keystone Health System
Jessica Kendorski, PhD, NCSP, BCBA-D Associate Professor in School Psychology/Applied Behavior Analysis at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Anita Kulick President & CEO, Educating Communities for Parenting
Janet Rosenzweig, MS, PhD, MPA VP for Programs & Research for Prevent Child Abuse America
Beth Wallace Smith, R.D. Registered Dietitian at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Emiliano Tatar, M.D. Pediatrician at Einstein Healthcare Network Roxborough Plaza
Jeanette Trella, Pharm.D Managing Director at The Poison Control Center at CHOP
W. Douglas Tynan, Ph.D., ABPP Director of Integrated Health Care for American Psychological Association
Flaura Koplin Winston, M.D., Ph.D. Scientific Director of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s Center for Injury Research and Prevention
Latest Videos
Also on Philly.com:
letter icon Newsletter