IKEA expands recall of children's wall-mounted lamps
Children can get entangled in the electrical cord that hangs from the children's wall-mounted lamps, posing a strangulation hazard. A 16-month-old child in a crib died after getting entangled in the lamp's cord.
IKEA expands recall of children’s wall-mounted lamps
IKEA is expanding its recall of children’s wall-mounted lamps because children can get entangled in the electrical cord that hangs from the lamp, posing a strangulation hazard.
The recall now involves 3.5 million in the United States, 1.4 million in Canada, 30.2 million worldwide. This reannouncement includes IKEA children’s lamps in the company's previous recall in December 2013 and expands the number and types of lamps.
The lamps are sold in various style names, shapes and colors. The lamps have a cord, about 7 to 8 feet long with either a switch on the cord or a switch located on the lamp.
A 15-month-old baby became entangled in the TASSA NATT lamp’s cord and nearly strangled. This incident, and the death of a 16-month-old baby who died after getting entangled in the SMILA lamp’s cord, were reported in the previous recall. In both incidents, which occurred in Europe, the lamp cord was pulled into the crib by the infants.
For more information, including how to obtain a repair kit, go the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Website.