Celebrate the start of spring with this fun and seasonal snack recipe. Zucchini is a mild green vegetable in the squash family. It’s sturdy and holds up even when baked, which makes it a perfect ingredient for our “oven fried” fries.
For a fun twist: sprinkle grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese on the zucchini sticks in their final minutes of baking and pair with marinara sauce.
Mean and Lean Zucchini Fries
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- 3 medium zucchini, washed and cut into sticks the shape of french fries
1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
2. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Place flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder in a large resealable plastic bag.
4. Place egg whites into a shallow bowl and whisk together with a fork for 10-15 seconds.
4. Dip zucchini in egg white and then place inside the bag. Shake until all the zucchini sticks are covered in the flour mixture.
5. Place zucchini on baking sheet evenly so they are not touching.
6. Bake for 7 minutes.
7. Turn the zucchini and spray with cooking spray
8. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes more.
9. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s Nutrition in the Kitchen Cookbook