Today’s guest blogger is Kevin Osterhoudt, MD, MSCE, FAAP, FACMT, emergency medicine attending physician and medical director of the Poison Control Center at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, and associate professor of pediatrics, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. For updates and more information, go to Poison Control Center’s Facebook page.
Ingestion of torch fuels, often used in the summertime to fuel patio torches or decorative candles, can lead to severe injury. The good news is that you can prevent this predictable summertime hazard before this year’s celebrations of the unofficial start to summer – the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
Already in May, The Poison Control Center at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia has taken five calls about potentially toxic exposures to these lamp oils. Two toddlers were hospitalized, one in an intensive care unit; and one adult drank some of the oil by mistake. The other two cases involved children playing with the bottle, which led to spilling or splashing the contents on the skin and face.
Torch fuels, also called lamp oils, often come in bottles that can easily be mistaken for apple juice or another drink, especially by curious young children incapable of reading warning labels, and are often used around tables where food and drink are served. Ingestion of small amounts of these hydrocarbon chemicals can cause excessive drowsiness, lung injury, difficulty breathing, and even death.