Thursday, February 11, 2016

Keeping dangerous 'toys' away from kids

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 60,000 young children end up in emergency departments every year because they got into medicines while their parent or caregiver was not looking.

Keeping dangerous 'toys' away from kids


Last October the New York Times published a story about a 13-month-old boy who died after swallowing pills from a prescription medicine bottle. His parents had given him the bottle to play with as a rattle, believing he could not open the child-resistant cap.

The bottle contained Suboxone, a medicine used to treat people who are addicted to illegal or prescription pain medicines. The boy was put in his crib to sleep. His mother checked him a short time later and found the bottle open. The pills had fallen out and one of them was wet. She took them away from him, gave him a bottle of milk, and went to sleep. In the morning, the boy was found unconscious in his crib. The parents called 911, but the child had died by the time he reached the hospital.

Using a syringe as a toy led to another recent accident, but in this case, the child fortunately survived. A nurse gave a young hospitalized girl an empty syringe to play with during the day. The girl used the syringe to drink liquids and eat ice cream. The next morning the girl called for the nurse, saying she had pain in her chest and a cough. The girl told the nurse she had connected the syringe to her intravenous line and pushed the plunger in, pretending to give herself medicine. The syringe only contained air, but an injection of air into the bloodstream can be deadly. The child’s pain and shortness of breath were caused by the injected air, which had blocked the blood vessels leading to her lungs. Fortunately, steps were taken to treat the girl who later recovered from this accident.

Stories like these should serve as a reminder that children should not be allowed to play with medicines (not even empty bottles) or other supplies used to administer medicines. Children are curious and creative. They like to explore and mimic the actions of adults. So, if they see you taking medicine or using a syringe, they will likely try to follow suit. Infants learn by putting things in their mouths, and even very young children have been able to open a child-resistant cap.

To prevent accidents like these, please keep medicines up and away and out of the reach of children. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 60,000 young children end up in emergency departments every year because they got into medicines while their parent or caregiver was not looking. Along with other organizations they’ve launched the Up and Away campaign to remind families of the importance of safe medicine storage. Only allow children to hold and touch medical equipment when a healthcare professional feels it is necessary to ease a child’s anxiety—and then only under the direct supervision of the healthcare professional.

To check out more Check Up items go to

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog

Check Up is a blog for savvy health consumers, covering the latest developments, discoveries, and debates from the Philadelphia area and beyond.

Portions of this blog may also be found in the Inquirer's Sunday Health Section.

Charlotte Sutton Health and Science Editor, Philadelphia Inquirer
Tom Avril Inquirer Staff Writer, heart health and general science
Stacey Burling Inquirer Staff Writer, neuroscience and aging
Marie McCullough Inquirer Staff Writer, cancer and women's health
Don Sapatkin Inquirer Staff Writer, public health
David Becker, M.D. Board certified cardiologist, Chestnut Hill Temple Cardiology
Michael R. Cohen, R.Ph. President, Institute for Safe Medication Practices
Daniel R. Hoffman, Ph.D. President, Pharmaceutical Business Research Associates
Hooman Noorchashm, M.D., Ph.D. Cardiothoracic surgeon in the Philadelphia area
Amy J. Reed, M.D., Ph.D. Anesthesiologist and Surgical Intensivist in the Philadelphia Area
Latest Health Videos
Also on
letter icon Newsletter