Gov. Corbett said today he will file suit against the NCAA over what he called "illegal sanctions" it imposed on Penn State as a result of its handling of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
Corbett said in a brief press release he will provide details of the federal lawsuit Wednesday in State College.
The NCAA fined Penn State $60 million, banned its football team from four years of bowl games and vacated years of team wins over its handling of the Sandusky case.
The sanctions came following a report released last summer by former FBI director Louis Freeh which concluded that university administrators had engaged in a cover-up to protect Sandusky.
Penn State board of trustees, of which Corbett is a member, gave its approval of the report shortly after its release.
Former Penn State President Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz have been charged in the Sandusky case, accused of child endangerment and other crimes.
State Sen. Jake Corman announced legislation last week that would restrict Penn State's fine money to be used to combat sex abuse in Pennsylvania.
The NCAA has said only as much as 25 percent of Penn State’s $60 million fine will be used for sexual abuse prevention in Pennsylvania.
Penn State recently made the first payment of $12 million. Corman said he also is planning to seek an injunction to halt that payment until the dispute with the NCAA is resolved.
Sandusky is serving a 30 to 60-year prison term after being convicted of sexually abusing 10 boys, several of them were abused on the Penn State campus.
Click here for Philly.com's politics page.