Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Another union says no to proposed district deal

Another union says no to district deal

Another union says no to proposed district deal

Although district officials say they hope to save up to $75 million in concessions from its unions to close a multi-million gap, it doesn't look too promising after yet another one of its union voted to turn down proposed amendments.

The union representing district maintenance workers is the latest union to strike down a tentative deal brokered by the district, a union official with Local 1201 confirmed today. In a vote of 849 to 594, members shot down the deal that included foregoing a 3 percent raise in January. 

Union president George Richezza declined to comment. District spokesman Fernando Gallard said the district will not stop communicating with all of the district's unions.

"We will continue to work with the leadership at 32BJ and its members to meet our goal of savings," he said.

The district seeks to collect $75 million from its unions.

Other unions had also rejected proposals. By a difference of four votes, the principals' union last week rejected a contract proposal with givebacks that included delaying a 3 percent raise and a clause that would require principals to contribute to their health care if the teachers' and maintenance workers' unions did the same.  

Unions for teachers and school police had flat-out refused to renegotiate.

Several blue collar workers in the union, which include district building engineers, mechanics and general cleaners as members, say they're happy the contract didn't go through and hope Richezza does not return to the table.

Read more on this story in tomorrow's Daily News.  

Dafney Tales
About this blog

Dafney Tales
Also on Philly.com
Stay Connected