This stuffed squash is a show-stopping all-in-one MVP, and it tastes just as good as it looks! A perfect make-ahead meal, this hearty dish is batch-cooking friendly (...and leftovers make for a quick and easy packed lunch the next day!)
For the Stuffed Acorn Squash:
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 cups of quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup of chickpeas, cooked (or no canned, no salt added, BPA free, drained)
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bag of arugula
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each of cumin & paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper
- drizzel of Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cut the squash in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds (I strongly urge you to save the seeds. Roast them in the oven and season with your favorite spices and a pinch of salt for a yummy snack!)
- Add a few Tbsp of water to a baking dish and place the halves cut-side-down. Roast for about 40 minutes, until the flesh is fork tender.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry pan on low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next, cut the pomegranate in half. Working with one half at a time, submerge the half in a bowl of water and gently remove the seeds from the core (the seeds will sink to the bottom). Strain and set aside.
- After 40 minutes in the oven, flip the squash cut-side-up, lightly drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Return to the oven and turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the squash becomes caramelized and golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a pan or skillet, toss chickpeas and quinoa over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil and the spices, until chickpeas begin to crisp (about 2-3 minutes). Fill the Squash with the chickpeas and Quinoa.
- Top the squash with toasted walnuts, pomegranate seeds, and fresh parsley. Drizzle with lemon tahini dressing, and serve with a heaping handful of arugula. Enjoy!
Lindsey Kane is a Registered Dietitian in Philadelphia. For more nutrition tips and recipes, visit her blog at biteforchange.com.
Read more Goal Getter for healthy eating, weight loss and more.