Inquirer staff writer Sam Wood reports:
Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of a late night fire that killed a wheelchair-bound man in
Neighbors called 911 about 11:30 p.m. reporting the acrid stench of smoke in the Charleston Woods section of the township.
When firefighters arrived on the unit block of
About 45 firefighters battled the blaze and placed it under control in 23 minutes. As they pushed back the flames, firefighters discovered the body of an elderly man lying on the bed of a second floor bedroom.
The disabled man, who was not immediately identified, had required a wheelchair and a walker to move about his house.
It was unclear this morning if the home was outfitted with smoke detectors, Giorgio said.
Read more breaking news in our From The Source blog.