1. Gene Mauch – Crazed in the dugout, cursed by fate, propelled by hidden fires.
2. Wilt Chamberlain – Dominated opponents but never himself. As odd and enigmatic as he was talented.
3. Allen Iverson – Honed a studied street toughness and yet dissolved tears on his return here.
4. Steve Carlton – Pounded rice, savored wine, forsook interviews, concocted conspiracies.
5. Dick Allen – Like Wilt, possessed of enormous talent and a strange, restless temperament.
6. Randall Cunningham –- Just as he did at QB, his mind flitted and scrambled and defied constraints and conventional analysis.
7. Eric Lindros – Strong and powerful, yet allowed himself to be tugged and pulled by his parents and the Flyers.
8. Fred Shero – The fog that enveloped him was an impenetrable one.
9. Lenny Dykstra – The demons that pushed him eventually floored him.
10. Tug McGraw – How could someone so happy have ended up so sad?