On Sunday night, Nia Sanchez won the 63rd annual Miss USA pageant as Miss Nevada. Sanchez, 24, made history as the first contestant from Nevada to nab the crown. Here are 5 more things you need to know about the new Miss USA.
1. Sanchez began competing in pageants when she was 19.
2. She’s half Hispanic, and has represented the United States in pageants in Ecuador.
3. When she was six, Sanchez and her mother lived in a women’s shelter for two months after her parents went through a divorce.
4. Sanchez studied Tae Kwon Do for 12 years and is a fourth degree black belt.
5. After high school, Sanchez moved to Europe to work as a nanny.