The Philadelphia Film Festival has announced the full film line-up for its 25th annual edition this October, which will feature more than 100 feature length and short films that star the likes of Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling, and Amy Adams, among many others.
Taking place Oct. 20 through Oct. 30, the 11-day festival will screen films over four movie theaters in Philadelphia: The Ritz East, the Ritz Five, the PFS Roxy Theater, and Prince Theater. Tickets go on sale for PFS members Sept. 30, while the general public gets access beginning Oct. 6. Movies run between $5 and $13.
The festival will open Oct. 20 with a showing of Damien Chazelle’s La La Land, a movie musical which previously made waves at the Venice and Toronto International film festivals. Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, the film harkens back to the golden days of Hollywood musicals, and details the relationship of an aspiring actress (Stone) and a jazz musician (Gosling) as they pursue their dreams. A bonus: The flick features lyrics from local boy Benj Pasek of Ardmore, who penned them alongside writing partner Justin Paul.
Arrival, directed by Maelström helmer Denis Villeneuve, will close out the festival on Oct. 30. Starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Forest Whitaker, the film details an alien invasion, and the crack team put together to investigate it. Having screened at the likes the likes of the Venice Film Festival and the BFI London Film Festival, Arrival currently has a 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The festival’s Centerpiece screenings, meanwhile, include festival favorites and potential Oscar hopefuls, like Natalie Portman Jackie O. biopic Jackie, the Dev Patel-starring man-finds-home-via-Google Maps weepie Lion, Kenneth Lonergan’s gut-wrenching Manchester by the Sea, gorgeous coming-of-age flick Moonlight and 2016 Palme d’or competitor Toni Erdmann.
The program is uploaded here, but take a gander at the full list of films below:
Opening Night Film
- La La Land, Director Damien Chazelle. 2016, USA.
Closing Night Film
- Arrival, Director Denis Villeneuve. 2016, USA.
- Jackie, Director Pablo Larraín. 2016, USA, France, Chile.
- Lion, Director Garth Davis. 2016, Australia, USA, UK.
- Manchester by the Sea, Director Kenneth Lonergan 2016, USA.
- Moonlight, Director Barry Jenkins. 2016, USA.
- Toni Erdmann, Director Maren Ade, 2016, Germany
From the Vaults (repertory film)
- Dekalog, Director Krzysztof Kieślowski. 1988, USA.
- Night on Earth, Director Jim Jarmusch. 1991, USA.
- Wonder Boys, Director Curtis Hanson. 2000, USA.
- Christine, Director Antonio Campos. 2016, USA.
- King Cobra, Director Justin Kelly. 2016, USA.
- Wolves, Director Bart Freundlich. 2016, USA.
Masters of Cinema:
- Abacus: Small Enough to Jail, Director Steve James. 2016, USA.
- After Love, Director Joachim Lafosse. 2016, France Belgium.
- After the Storm, Director Kore-eda Hirokazu. 2016, Japan.
- Being 17, Director André Téchiné. 2016, France.
- The Commune, Director Thomas Vinterberg. 2016, Denmark.
- Death in Sarajevo, Director Danis Tanović. 2016, Bosnia, France.
- Fire at Sea, Director Gianfranco Rosi. 2016, Italy, France.
- Frantz, Director François Ozon. 2016, France.
- Graduation, Director Christian Mungiu. 2016, Romania.
- I, Daniel Blake, Director Ken Loach. 2016, UK, France, Belgium.
- Neruda, Director Pablo Larraín. 2016, Chile.
- The Net, Director Ki-duk Kim. 2016, Korea.
- Paterson, Director Jim Jarmusch. 2016, USA.
- Personal Shopper, Director Olivier Assayas. 2016, France.
- A Quiet Passion, Director Terence Davies. 2016, Belgium, USA.
- The Salesman, Director Asghar Farhadi. 2016, Iran, France
- The Unknown Girl, Director Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne. 2016, Belgium, France
- 24 Weeks, Director Anne Zohra Berrached. 2016, Germany.
- The Age of the Shadows, Director Jee-Woon Kim. 2016, South Korea.
- Apprentice, Director Boo Junfeng. 2016, Singapore.
- Aquarius, Director Kleber Mendonça Filho. 2016, Brazil, France.
- Beyond the Mountains and Hills, Director Eran Kolirin. 2016, Israel.
- Boundaries, Director Chloé Robichaud. 2016, Canada.
- Goldstone, Director Ivan Sen. 2016, Australia.
- The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki, Director Juho Kuosmanen. 2016, Australia.
- Harmonium, Director Kôji Fukada. 2016, Japan.
- Hedi, Director Mohamed Ben Attia. 2016, Tunisia, France, Germany, Emirates, Qatar.
- Illegitimate, Director Adrian Sitaru. 2016, Romania, Poland, France.
- Layla M, Director Mijke de Jong. 2016, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Jordan.
- The Oath, Director Baltasar Kormákur. 2016, Iceland.
- Parents, Director Christian Tafdrup. 2016, Denmark.
- The Patriarch, Director Lee Tamahori. 2016, New Zealand.
- Personal Affairs, Director Maha Haj. 2016, Israel.
- The Rehearsal, Director Alison Maclean. 2016, Canada.
- Suntan, Director Argyris Papadimitropoulos. 2016, Greece.
- Trespass Against Us, Director Adam Smith. 2016, UK.
- Two Loves and a Bear, Director Kim Nguyen. 2016, Canada.
- Wúlu, Director Daouda Coulibaly. 2016, France, Senegal.
- Zoology, Director Ivan I. Tverdovsky. 2016, Russia, France, Germany.
New French Films:
- Baden Baden, Director Rachel Lang. 2016, France, Belgium.
- The Dancer, Director Stéphanie Di Giusto. 2016, France.
- In Bed with Victoria, Director Justine Triet. 2016, France.
- Lost in Paris, Director Dominique Abel, Fiona Gordon. 2016, France
- News From Planet Mars, Director Dominik Moll. 2016, France
- Staying Vertical, Director Alain Guiraudie. 2016, France.
- Things to Come, Director Mia Hansen-Løve. 2016, France, Germany.
- Bugs, Director Andreas Johnsen. 2016, Denmark.
- Insatiable: The Homaro Cantu Story, Director Brett A. Schwartz. 2016, USA.
- Tampopo, Director Juzo Itami. 1985, Japan.
- Another Evil, Director Carson Mell. 2016, USA.
- Between Us, Director Rafael Palacio Illingworth. 2016, USA.
- Donald Cried, Director Kris Avedisian. 2016, USA.
- First Girl I Loved, Director Kerem Sanga. 2016, USA.
- Hunter Gatherer, Director Josh Locy. 2016, USA.
- My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea, Director Dash Shaw. 2016, USA.
- Spa Night, Director Andrew Ahn. 2016, USA.
- Backpack Full of Cash, Director Sarah Mondale, 2016, USA.
- Blue Jay, Director Alex Lehmann. 2016, USA.
- Deuces, Director Jamal Hill. 2016, USA.
- Short Stay, Director Ted Fendt. 2016, USA.
- Woman, A Part, A, Director Elisabeth Subrin, 2016, USA.
- Best and Most Beautiful Things, Director Garrett Zevgetis, 2016, USA.
- I Am Not Your Negro, Director Raoul Peck. 2016, USA, France, Belgium, Switzerland.
- LoveTrue, Director Alma Har’el. 2016, USA.
- Magicians: Life in the Impossible, Director Marcie Hume, Christoph Baaden. 2016, USA.
- O.J.: Made in America, Director, Ezra Edelman, 2016, USA
- Obit, Director Vanessa Gould. 2016, USA.
- Peter and the Farm, Director Tony Stone. 2016, USA.
Sight and Soundtrack:
- Gimme Danger, Director Jim Jarmusch. 2016, USA.
- I Called Him Morgan, Director Kasper Collin. 2016, Sweden, US.
- Junction 48, Director Udi Aloni. 2016, Israel Germany, USA.
- Miss Impossible, Director Emilie Deleuze. 2016, France.
The Graveyard Shift:
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Director André Øvredal. 2016, UK, USA.
- The Eyes of My Mother, Director Nicolas Pesce. 2016, US.
- The Handmaiden, Director Chan-Wook Park. 2016, Korea.
- Secret Screening
State of the Union:
- Clínica de Migrantes: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, Director Maxim Pozdorovkin. 2016, USA. w/ special post-screening discussion with director Maxim Podorovkin and subjects Steven Larson, M.D., Executive Director of Puentes de Salud
- Do Not Resist, Director, Craig Atkinson. 2016, USA. w/ special post-screening discussion with director Craig Atkinson and other guests
- Solitary, Director Kristi Jacobson. 2016, USA. w/ special post-screening discussion with director Kristi Jacobson and Johnny Perez, Safe Reentry Advocate (Urban Justice Center)
- Zero Days, Director Alex Gibney. 2016, USA. w/ special post-screening discussion with director Alex Gibney and David Sanger, Chief Washington correspondent for The New York Times
- Bob Dylan Hates Me, Director Caveh Zahedi. 2016, USA.
- Deer Flower, Director Kangmin Kim. 20126, USA, South Korea.
- Edmond, Director Nina Gantz. 2016, UK
- Flowers of the Sky, Director Janie Geiser. 2016, USA.
- Glove, Director Alexa Lim Haas, Bernardo Britto. 2016, USA.
- The Itching, Director Dianne Bellino. 2016, USA.
- Love¸ Director Réka Bucsi. 2016, Hungary, France.
- Shiny, Directors Daniel Cloud Campos & Spencer Susser
- Summer Camp Island, Director Julia Pott. 2016, USA.
- Wellington Jr.¸Director Cécile Paysant. 2016, France.
Live Action Shorts
- BalloonFest, Director Nathan Truesdell. 2016, USA.
- Because the World Never Stops, Director Maximilien Van Aertryck, Axel Danielson. 2016, Sweden.
- Bisonhead, Director Elizabeth Lo, 2016, USA
- The Bloop, Director Cara Cusumano. 2016, USA.
- Chekhov, Director Jack Dunphy, 2016, USA
- Like, Director Garrett Bradley. 2016, USA.
- MeTube 2: August Sings Carmina Burana, Director Daniel Moshel. 2016, Austria.
- Peace in the Valley, Director Michael Palmieri, Donal Mosher. 2016, USA.
- The Procedure, Director Calvin Reeder. 2016, USA.
- Speaking is Difficult, Director AJ Schnack. 2016, USA.
- These C*cksucking Tears, Director Dan Taberski. 2016, USA.
- Thunder Road, Director Jim Cummings. 2016, USA.
- What Tears Us Apart¸ Director HU Wei. 2016, France.