Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pros banned from Wing Bowl 17, contest will be all local eaters

News blogs, sports blogs, entertainment blogs, and more from Philly.com, The Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Daily News.

email

Pros banned from Wing Bowl 17, contest will be all local eaters

POSTED: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 1:17 PM
Alejandro A. Alvarez/Daily News
Former House Speaker Tip O'Neill once said all politics is local. And now all competitive eating is local too. 610 WIP's Angelo Cataldi announced this morning that Wing Bowl 17, which will be held Jan. 30, will once again be open only to Philly-area amateur eaters. Cataldi said this morning that they kicked out the pros and were "going back to the roots of Wing Bowl."

The brainchild of co-host Al Morganti and Cataldi, the annual celebration of gluttony and strippers began in 1993 with less than a hundred spectators in the lobby of the Wyndham Franklin Plaza Hotel, now the Sheraton City Center. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Dec. 15 for the Wachovia Center event.

Reigning champion Joey Chestnut, who beat his previous record by eating 241 wings at this year's contest, had won three years in a row. He and many contestants in recent years, were professional eaters who appear regularly in events sanctioned by the International Federation of Competitive Eating, Major League Eating and other professional contests.

Chestnut revealed to us before Wing Bowl 16 that win or lose it would be his last Wing Bowl, but the departure of all pros means we are likely to have a brand new winner in 2009 as five-time champ Bill "El Wingador" Simmons is ineligible. Simmons came out of retirement for Wing Bowl 16, but then said he would not return either. 

Dan Gross @ 1:17 PM  Permalink | 8 comments
email
Comments  (8)
  • Comment removed.
  • Comment removed.
  • Comment removed.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:08 AM, 12/01/2008
    There is ONE reason and ONE reason alone that WIP has made the stupid decision to make Wing Bowl 17 a Philly-only event - THEY COULD NOT GET KOBAYASHI TO COMPETE!! I was on the floor last year and heard Chestnut state to the reporters that he was retired from the Wing Bowl. Once he stepped away from the reporters, I asked him if he would come back next year if Kobayashi was here. He said, and I quote …”Yeah, that would make a difference in my decision. I LOVE beating that guy!” I can not describe the fire that was in his eyes when he said it. I ran and told Angelo, but they obvioulsy decided not to take any action. Why not get the best of the best on stage? Then, they should take a chapter from the Philly Marathon and give a big award to highest Philly eater. Would we want to see the Phillies win the world series, but not against the best of the best? Hell no! And we don’t want to see the best Philly eater take the crown unless he/she is THE BEST.
    Boneman
  • Comment removed.
  • Comment removed.
  • Comment removed.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 4:23 PM, 12/02/2008
    Amen:: Gross should be one of the celebrity eaters..At least someone from the Delaware Valley will win...and who is looking at the girls hair eh?


About this blog
If you've got an insatiable appetite for the latest and greatest celebrity fodder, we've got your fix! Our Celebrities & Gossip blog highlights breaking local and national celebrity news.

Molly Eichel Daily News Staff Writer
Tirdad Derakhshani Inquirer Sideshow Columnist
Blog archives:
Past Archives: