Amanda Bynes' mother granted temporary conservatorship

Teen Choice Awards Arrivals
Amanda Bynes in happier, better days. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)

Effective immediately: Amanda Bynes' mother has been granted a temporary conservatorship over her troubled daughter.

Bynes, who was placed on an extended 30-day mental health hold ahead of the scheduled conservatorship hearing Friday, has been involuntarily held in a psychiatric hospital since July 23.

TMZ reports Bynes' doctors at the hospital where the actress has been placed requested an emergency hearing with the judge overseeing her case. Bynes' doctors determined the star was not in the right state of mind to attend the hearing- and Ventura County Judge Glen Reiser agreed, granting an LPS Conservatorship, which puts the 27-year-old's mental health under the temporary care of the state.

People reports that according to California state law, doctors can only be granted emergency conservatorship in circumstances involving a patient who is "gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder."

A mental health court has control over the star's medical treatment until she is released from the psychiatric facility - which will then allow her mother to determine what treatment she sees suitable for her daughter.

Reiser ruled Friday that Richard and Lynn Bynes have been granted temporary conservatorship over their daughter, which would allow them "limited control" over the former Nickelodeon star's personal and medical affairs. The temporary conservatorship also allows Lynn Bynes to control her child's finances for a 30-day period.

Her parents noted in court documents filed on July 27 that they were "deeply concerned" over their daughter's behavior. They stated in the filing, "We are deeply concerned that Amanda poses a substantial risk to herself, to others, and to property based on recent events in her life."

Bynes was placed on a 5150 hold on July 23 after she had started a small fire on a person's driveway in her hometown of Thousand Oaks, Calif. The 72-hour hold was later extended to two weeks.

In May, Bynes was arrested after allegedly "heaving" a marijuana bong from the window of her 36th floor midtown Manhattan apartment - in front of police. Authorities were called to building after someone had filed a complaint that Bynes had been smoking in the lobby.

She is believed to suffer from schizophrenia, according to multiple reports.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.