Energy Q&A with ECA
Q: How can I get my hands on some money to make my home more energy efficient?
A: Lucky for you, the stimulus package just increased the IRS tax credits for homeowners who make energy efficiency improvements. It’s now possible to get credits up to $1,500! For details, go to www.energywisepa.org.
More good news: the Pa Department of Environmental Protection just launched their new loan and rebate program for homeowners. The program provides either a low-interest loan to finance home improvements at a lower interest rate OR provides a rebate for a high efficiency appliance. Each homeowner is eligible for either a rebate or a loan in any given year. Also, keep in mind these eligibility requirements:
- All installed equipment and material must be new
- Rebates are for projects completed after February 23, 2009.
- Loans are available for projects initiated after February 23, 2009.
- The year of eligibility is defined as July 1-June 30.
- This loan is only available to 1-2 unit, owner occupied homes.
- Loan available to families with a combined annual income of $150,000 or less and who meet the credit requirements, some exceptions apply.