McCoy Good to Go
Eagles running back LeSean McCoy, under a little more scrutiny since Brian Westbrook underwent ankle surgery, returned to OTAs yesterday with his left thumb bandaged. He said he wasn't limited by the sprain suffered Friday.
McCoy Good to Go
Eagles rookie running back LeSean McCoy was back on the field Monday at Eagles minicamp, after leaving Friday's workout with what the team said was a sprained left thumb. McCoy practiced yesterday with the thumb wrapped, and said he felt no ill effects.
"It wasn't that big a deal," said McCoy, who acknowledged being "a little nervous" after he slipped, put his hand out to brace himself, and "my thumb totally bent back" during indoor work, when the team was forced inside by rain on Friday. While McCoy was walking off the field with trainer Rick Burkholder, Brian Westbrook was undergoing right ankle surgery in Baltimore to clean out bone fragments that were causing irritation, a bit of a nerve-wracking coincidence.
."I knew it wasn't that serious. It swelled up a little bit," McCoy said.
"In my situation, I'm trying to learn everything. I feel every day is vital to me."
McCoy said he has texted with Westbrook since the surgery.
"He's fine," McCoy said. "He asked me how everything's going, stuff like like that. He told me he would be here, stuff like that. Kind of like friends talk."
Westbrook, who won't be putting any weight on his ankle for either two weeks (Eagles estimate) or a month (surgeon Dr. Michael Myerson's estimate), was not around the NovaCare complex Monday.
Also not around the complex was corner Asante Samuel, the most vocal Eagle last week. A team spokesman said Samuel exercised his right to make the OTA live up to its "voluntary" designation. No word if he plans to come back today. Perhaps $57 million doesn't buy as much as it used to ...
Jeremy Jarmon, the Kentucky defensive end who was ruled ineligible for his senior year because of a positive test for a banned substance, will be in Philadelphia on Tuesday for a physical and meeting with the Eagles, ESPN.com's Joe Shad is reporting.
Jarmon, who has the third-most sacks in school history, plans to enter the NFL's supplemental draft on July 16. Teams bid for a player via email and the team willing to give up the highest pick in next year's draft earning the players' rights. He also plans to hold a pro day in Lexington on July 9 in advance of the draft.
"I told the NFL teams that have called that I don't even have a speeding ticket," Jarmon told ESPN.com. "If they take me they're not going to have any off-the-field problems."
At the time the positive test was revealed and his appeal was denied, Jarmon said, "I do not need to cheat to be successful." Here is more background on Jarmon from ESPN.com.