Here is a sampling of in-game observations from Les Bowen and Paul Domowitch in Pittsburgh for the Eagles' 24-14 loss to the Steelers. The Eagles' 14 points came on their final two drives:
* The Eagles' starting defensive tackles are Anthony Hargrove and Cullen Jenkins, with Mike Patterson and Antonio Dixon out.
* Charlie Noonan, DT from St. Joe's Prep, has been uncut, will play tonight wearing No. 94.
* Alex Henery's opening kickoff lands just short of the Allegheny River. If you're counting, and who's not, that's 4 touchbacks in 5 preseason kickoffs for Henery after the opening kickoff.
* Jason Avant has a knee contusion and his return is questionable.
* King Dunlap played the entire first half at right tackle, with Ryan Harris out. Jamal Jackson also played the entire first half at center. Rookie Jason Kelce worked with the second team.
* Nate Allen and Asante Samuel hung out to dry on pump fake on the Steelers' first touchdown. Especially Asante.
* Nothing helps an offense get going better than watching the other team drive for nearly 8 mins, then going to huddle for lengthy TV timeout.
* Can't blame Eagles' D for their play against the run. They practice against Eagles offense. They're looking at each other, "What is this thing where QB just HANDS ball off?"
* Me thinks the Eagles are going to rethink their LB situation this week. The Eagles' wide-9 alignment has a small flaw. LBs need to be in same area code when other team runs the ball.
* We've played 18:54. The Eagles have had ball 3:03 of that.
* Starting to wonder if Vick GQ flap is affecting his play tonight. Also wondering if Steelers gameplanned this. They are all over tendencies.
* Mike Vick had a 13.5 passer rating in the first half. Completed just two fewer passes to the Steelers than he did the Eagles. Vick finished 5-for-12 for 47 yards.
* This was not Vick’s worst preseason outing as an Eagle. A year ago in Cincinnati, he completed 1 of 5 passes for 6 yards and two picks, in relief of Kevin Kolb. Vick’s passer rating for that one was 0.0
* In his preseason debut, DeSean Jackson caught two of three passes thrown his way, for 8 yards. Actually, he had a 9-yard catch and a minus-1-yard catch.
* The Eagles were outgained, 262-71, in the first half and trailed, 21-0.
* Rookie fullback Stanley Havili fails on fourth-and-1. I can't remember what Havili's vertical leap was at his Pro Day, but I think it's safe to say it wasn't anywhere near 40 inches. Or 30.
* Vince Young started the third quarter strong, ended with an awful interception thrown straight to Lawrence Timmons. Young’s final numbers were 5-for-8, 34 yards, one pick, 32.3 passer rating
* In answer to everybody: Yes, taking that last practice off at Lehigh clearly was a horrible mistake that has doomed the season. Damn shame.
* Daniel Teo'Nesheim has a hamstring injury and is done for the night. That injury could open the door for CFL product Phillip Hunt.
* Mike Kafka puts together a nice drive for the Eagles' first score. The drive includes a 40-yard pass to Dion Lewis, who had fumbled earlier. The TD comes on a 14-yard pass to Gerald Jones. Nice dive into the end zone.
* Kafka does it again, with another drive in the 2-minute offense. And another catch and dive into the end zone for Jones. Kafka finishes 13-for-18 for 154 yards with two touchdowns.
* Could have been worse: Samuel blocked a field goal and the Steelers missed a chip shot in the fourth quarter.
* Evan Mathis was the second-team right tackle, worth keeping an eye on.
* On the bright side, at least the Eagles don't play in the AFC North.
* Boys and girls, before anybody thinks about jumping off the Walt Whitman Bridge, keep in mind this was the second preseason game.
For a report on Andy Reid's postgame press conference, click here.