Saturday, September 20, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Eagles playoff probabilities and more

As you know, the Eagles are locked into the No. 3 seed in the NFC playoffs, the only team that is locked in.

Eagles playoff probabilities and more

Who will Andy Reid and the Eagles face in the first round of the playoffs? (David Maialetti / Staff Photographer)
Who will Andy Reid and the Eagles face in the first round of the playoffs? (David Maialetti / Staff Photographer)

As you know, the Eagles are locked into the No. 3 seed in the NFC playoffs, the only team that is locked in.

If you are interested in some mathematical formulas relating to the Eagles' probable opponent, according to Sports Club Stats.

The Packers have a 78.6 percent chance of being the sixth seed.

The Giants have an 18.1 percent chance of being the sixth seed.

More coverage
 
MTC: McCoy's Pro Bowl credentials
 
Eagletarian: Week 17 NFL Power Rankings
 
Reid won't risk much vs. Cowboys
 
DN Playbook: Eagles vs. Cowboys
 
NEW APP: Follow the Birds
 
More Eagles coverage from the Inquirer & Daily News
 
Buy Eagles NFC East champions gear

The Bucs have a 3.3 percent chance of being the sixth seed.

As for seeding among the other NFC playoff teams:

The Falcons have a 93 percent chance to be the No. 1 seed, a 1 percent chance to be the No. 2 seed and a 5 percent chance to be the No. 5 seed.

The Saints have a 6 percent chance to be the No. 1 seed and a 94 percent chance to be the No. 5 seed.

The Bears have a 1 percent chance to be the No. 1 seed and a 99 percent chance to be the No. 2 seed. (That is why it makes sense to expect the Bears to rest some players, which should make life easier for the Packers.)

**

When the Cowboys were preparing to face the Eagles the last time, Stephen McGee had a very different role than the one he had this week.

McGee likely will get his first NFL start, replacing the injured Jon Kitna. Then, though, he was playing the role of Michael Vick and running the scout team.

His strategy: "Run fast and throw it deep."

His routine made teammates crack up, but no one is laughing now with McGee expecting to start.

"Stephen's very serious about being a football player and being the best he can be," Garrett said. "He works very hard at it in the film room, certainly with his game plan, understanding what we're trying to do and then when he goes out on the practice field, whether he's running the scout team or taking first-team reps. He takes that same approach and he improved as a result of it."

**

DeSean Jackson's punt return against the Giants was ranked No. 2 on SportsCenter's "Plays of the Year."

The top spot went to the amazing fielding play on Opening Day by Mark Buehrle, of the White Sox. Buerhle kicked a comebacker into foul territory, chased it down, then flipped the ball to first between his legs with his glove.

**

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Michael Vick would be his choice for NFL Most Valuable Player.

"I can’t pick an MVP in the division – it just kind of goes against my pride," Shanahan said, laughing. "No, he’d be right up there. I think he would be my MVP."

"It’s been an incredible year," Shanahan said. "He does things that most human beings can’t do and he’s come back after being away from it for a couple of years and has had one of the best years that I’ve watched a quarterback have, both throwing the football and running, so the guy can make plays and if you take a look at, like I have mentioned, that fourth quarter, you can’t find a guy that has made those types of plays against a good football team. They just don’t do it. I’m talking about having guys sacked, having guys put away and just a tremendous athletic ability to get out of a tough spot."
 

**

So what did Giants coach Tom Coughlin say to his team in the locker room after the crushing loss to the Eagles. That he was proud of them.

" This is my team and I love these guys one way or the other," he said. "I told them two weeks ago that I was proud of them. They were shocked that I said that after the Philadelphia game ... They wouldn’t think that I would open with that statement, but I did, so we all know that this game is about performing, it’s about executing, it’s about playing, it’s about winning, so to that end we are a team, we are all together, all our goals are team-oriented, we just have to go do it."

Coughlin was asked whether he had spoken to the team at any point about speculation about his job status. A number of Giants have come to Coughlin's defense in the last few days.

"No," Coughlin said. "It’s not about me."


Download our NEW iPhone/Android app for even more Birds coverage, including app-exclusive videos and analysis. Get it here.

About this blog
Eagletarian is your home for comprehensive coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Les Bowen Daily News Staff Writer
Paul Domowitch Daily News NFL Columnist
Latest Videos:
Also on Philly.com:
Stay Connected