In what would have seemed shocking only weeks ago, defensive tackle Mike Patterson is expected to play Thursday night in the Eagles’ preseason game against the Browns.
Coach Andy Reid said he was not sure how much Patterson will play, but said Patterson would “give it a go.”
Reid said Patterson has had a good week of practice.
Patterson, hospitalized Aug. 3 after suffering a seizure at practice, has seen three specialists on brian AVMs (a tangle of blood vessels), and has consulted with another, the Eagles said. Reid said the decision was for Patterson to take antiseizure medication and have the AVM dealt with, possibly through surgery, after the season.
"It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to play football," Patterson said. "So I’ll just be excited to be back out there with the guys, fans cheering and stuff like that. So emotionally, emotionally I’ll be really excited.”
Patterson said he did not know how many plays he would play, but he was looking forward to getting on the field. He said his medical situation will not be on his mind.
"That’s the good thing about football, it’s easy to zone everything out and just go out there and play," he said.
Asked how his fitness level compared to year's past, Patterson said, "I’m not too far off. But it’s football so everything takes practice and time and stuff like that. So I just need to be patient and continue to work on the things that I need to work on and listen to the coaching staff.”
He also said he would play in the fourth preseason game, if asked. “If he says he wants me too just to see me. Most definitely, I will.”
In other news:
· Jarrad Page will start at free safety. He and Nate Allen have been splitting the first-team reps in practice this week. Reid said Nate Allen is on schedule, and the Eagles just want to make sure he remains on track.
· The starters are expected to play three quarters with the second team playing the fourth quarter. Vince Young will be the quarterback for the second team.
· Reid reiterated that Winston Justice is close and said there is a chance he could practice next week. Reid said King Dunlap did fine at right tackle and that Reggie Wells is working in. There is no indication that Todd Herremans is moving. Reid also mentioned that he would be comfortable with Jamal Jackson playing at guard if need be.
· Ryan Harris is saying a specialist in an effort to try to calm down the back spasms he has had. Harris took part in Saturday’s practice session but his back tightened up.
· Players who will not play are Antonio Dixon, Brandon Graham, Harris, Winston Justice, Marlin Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Juqua Parker and Steve Smith.