Weekend crime: Cops investigating 2 homicides, Sunday afternoon shooting

Police are investigating two weekend homicides and a handful of other violent incidents throughout the city.

In the first, medics were called to Baynton Street near Coulter in East Germantown shortly after 3 p.m. Friday for a man lying unconscious on the sidewalk. Police said the man, who remains a John Doe, was suffering from a deep laceration – possibly a stab wound – to the face. The man, who police estimate is in his late 20s or early 30s, was pronounced dead at Albert Einstein Medical Center at 3:37 p.m.

Less than an hour later, cops were called to Broad Street and Lehigh Avenue for a shooting, but when they arrived, found no victim, according to a police spokeswoman. Cops at the scene received information that a Crown Victoria had fled the area after the shooting. That car, police said, later showed up at Temple University Hospital to drop off a 28-year-old man who had been shot at least three times in the chest and abdomen.

The man was pronounced dead at 5:05 p.m. Police said an argument led to that shooting, but they have not released the nature of the argument or the victim’s identity.

Later Friday night, police said, a 21-year-old man was shot in the face during a robbery attempt at 51st Street and Willows Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia’s Cedar Park section. After being shot, the victim ran to a fire station nearby and was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where police said he was being treated for non-life-threatening wounds.

The robber in that incident is described as a black man between 20 and 25 who has a light complexion, thin build and light facial hair. He wore a red and black jacket, a black hat and dark pants and was last seen running on 51st Street toward Pentridge.

Just after midnight Saturday, an 18-year-old was taken to Temple University Hospital by his friends to be treated for a gunshot wound to the chest. He told police that people he didn’t know shot him at 9th Street and Indiana Avenue, a department spokeswoman said. Cops are unsure what led to the shooting, and the teen remained in critical condition on Sunday.  

Less than two hours later, in South Philadelphia, a man showed up at Methodist Hospital with his 18-year-old son, who police said had been stabbed at 4th and Porter streets. Cops said the teen’s attacker is a 17-year-old boy whom the victim knows, but no arrests had been made as of Sunday. The victim remains in stable condition at Methodist, where he’s being treated for stab wounds to his leg and back.

At 4:35 p.m. Sunday, police said, a 25-year-old man was shot three times at 25th Street and Sedgley Avenue. He was taken to Temple University Hospital in critical condition, and police said they do not yet have a motive or suspect in the shooting.