Mayhem over the weekend

A 25-year-old man, who was shot in his South Philadelphia home early yesterday as he lay sleeping next to his girlfriend and 3-year-old daughter, was one of four victims of violent crime this weekend among those critically injured in four violent crimes this weekend. Three other people in other cases died from their injuries — one after being beaten by a one-time friend and the other who was shot after attempting an armed robbery of a victim who was carrying his own gun. About 4:30 a.m. yesterday, police said, an unknown number of people kicked down the back door to a house on Pierce Street near 17th and shot the 25-year-old resident and a 19-year-old unidentified male friend in his house, said Det. John Ruth, of South Detectives.


The woman and child sharing a bed with the resident escaped unharmed, he said. The 19-year-old male, who was wounded in the stomach and buttocks, remains in intensive care at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The 25-year-old victim, shot in his leg and buttocks, was in surgery last night at HUP. Police said they have been unable to interview either victim because of ongoing medical treatment, but the home did not appear to be otherwise ransacked. A firearm, believed to belong to the resident, was found in the upstairs bedroom where he was shot, Ruth said. Just hours earlier, about 1:15 a.m. on 52nd Street near Florence Avenue, in the Kingsessing section, three men were approached by two armed, 17-year-old males who attempted to rob them, Homicide Sgt. Tim Cooney said.

One of the victims, who had a permit to carry his own, concealed weapon, pulled a gun on his teen attackers — shooting one twice in the chest and the other two times in the arm, Cooney said. The young man shot in the chest was taken to HUP, where he was pronounced dead at 1:55 a.m. His accomplice remains at the same hospital in stable condition, police said. Homicide and Southwest detectives are working together to determine if the duo was involved in previous robberies.


Cooney said the District Attorney’s Office will review the case, but as of now, the victim who shot his alleged robbers isn’t facing charges. In Grays Ferry on Saturday night, an Allentown man allegedly beat and strangled his one-time friend to death — possibly, with his own hands. The attack occurred around about 10:30 p.m. on Wilder Street near 26th at the home of the victim, Anthony Williams, 37, police said. According to Cooney, Raymond Armstrong, 31, showed up at Williams’ house “distraught and upset.” Williams managed to get his friend inside the home, where an argument ensued, police said. Williams was pronounced dead en route to Methodist Hospital at 10:50 p.m.


The cause of death has been listed as blunt-force trauma and strangulation. Armstrong has been charged with murder but has not been charged with possessing instruments of a crime. That could mean that he used only his hands in the alleged attack, a source said. And last night, an unidentified 24-year-old man died as a result of a gunshot wound to the hip, said a homicide detective. He was shot by a gunman at 13th Street near Fairmount Avenue, about 7 p.m. and was pronounced dead at Hahnemann University Hospital shortly before 10 p.m., police said. They reported no arrests.