Saturday, October 10, 2015

Victims of priest sex abuse call planned service a "distraction"

Archdiocese schedules "penitential service"; abuse victims call it "a meaningless gesture."

Victims of priest sex abuse call planned service a "distraction"


Continuing his effort to repair relations with parishioners peeved about the ongoing clergy sex-abuse scandal, Archbishop Cardinal Justin Rigali announced the Archdiocese will host a "penitential service" March 11 where the faithful can "pray for the forgiveness of all sins and for reconciliation with God and in the community."

Continuing their effort to hold the Archdiocese accountable, a group of clergy-abuse victims are criticizing the service as a "meaningless gesture" and "dangerous distraction" from real reform.

"Gestures like this, we believe, are at least in part designed to convey the impression that this crisis is over and all that remains is expressing regret and making amends with wounded adults," said David Clohessy, executive director of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. "Nothing could be further from the truth. As the grand jury report makes clear, predator priests are still on the job today in Philadelphia. Naming and ousting them must come first."

Rigali, in a Feb. 28 letter to parishioners, wrote that he intends to meet with priests this week to pray with them and thank them for their work. He wrote: "With repentance for our sins we humbly ask the forgiveness of God, which comes to us through Christ. We also humbly ask the forgiveness of all those whom we have offended in any way. We likewise beg God to bring about reconciliation and healing in our community."

The March 11 Mass is scheduled for 7 p.m. at  the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Center City.

A grand jury last month indicted two priests, a former priest and a lay teacher on rape charges and a monsignor, who was accused of shuffling pedophile priests into unsuspecting parishes, with endangering the welfare of children. The grand jury report noted that they found evidence suggesting former Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua knew and approved of the cover-up. But Bevilacqua dodged charges because there was not enough evidence to ensure a successful prosecution, grand jurors said.

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog

Philly Confidential, which covers crime in Philadelphia and the suburbs, is written by Daily News staffers Dana DiFilippo, Stephanie Farr and Vinny Vella.

E-mail tips to DiFilippo at and follow her on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Farr at and follow her on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Vella at and follow him on Twitter here.

The Philly Confidential team
Also on
letter icon Newsletter