A 20-year-old man who had been on probation for brutally attacking and assaulting a senior citizen in 2011 was shot to death in Olney late Tuesday night, according to police.
Samuel Cave, of Champlost Avenue near 4th Street in Olney, was shot once in the chest just after 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at 5th and Grange streets, police said Wednesday. He was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center and became the second gunshot wound victim of the night to die there at 11:52 p.m., after a man shot in West Oak Lane about two hours earlier also died there.
Cave was arrested in December 2011 after police released surveillance video of him and another teenager ambushing a 65-year-old man who was walking along Chelten Avenue in Olney one afternoon. Cave and his accomplice knocked out their feeble victim’s teeth and left him unconscious on the ground, according to accounts of the attack.
He was found guilty of aggravated assault and related offenses last year for that attack, and a judge sentenced him to 10 years’ probation, ordered him to serve 100 hours of community service helping victims of violence, and to pay $10,000 in restitution.
A 17-year-old boy wounded in the same shooting was also taken to Einstein, where he was listed in critical condition with gunshot wounds to the arms and abdomen, police said.
Investigators said they do not know what motivated the shooting and they have not yet determined any suspects.