Smoking caused fire that killed city's third fatality of the year

The house fire that killed an elderly Frankford man on Sunday morning was caused by careless smoking, the Fire Department announced Tuesday.

The fire marshal determined the blaze started in the first-floor kitchen of the house, on Frankford Avenue near Bustleton. 

Neighbors identified the victim as John Blitchford, 84, according to news reports.  Another elderly man also was injured.

The fire marked the third fatal fire of 2013.

Continue Reading