In what will no doubt be an emotional ceremony at City Hall Friday morning, 12 cops -- including slain Highway Patrol Officer Patrick McDonald -- will be promoted to the rank of sergeant. McDonald. 30, was gunned down by convicted felon Daniel Giddings in North Philly on Sept. 23. Giddings was later shot dead by police.
McDonald's father, retired Fire Department Capt. Larry McDonald, is expected to stand in for his son at the ceremony. Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey, Mayor Nutter and other officials will be on hand.
The rest of the promoted include:
* Officer Rosemary Petro, 22nd District
* Corporal Jeffrey Hickson, Traffic Court
* Officer Kenneth Gill, 9th District
* Officer Nashid Akil, 25th District
* Det. Christopher Morton, Major Crimes
* Det. George Mullen, East Detectives
* Corporal Mark Palma, Narcotics Field Unit 2
* Officer Marc Hayes, 26th District
* Officer Benjamin Baynard, 35th District
* Officer Andrew Horn, 14th District
* Officer Christopher Binns, SWAT
* Officer Patrick McDonald, Highway Patrol