Saturday, September 5, 2015

Man arrested after drunken shooting rampage

A 41-year-old man was arrested on seven charges of aggravated assault and weapons violations after a drunken rampage in an apartment in West Philadelphia Friday night, police said.

Man arrested after drunken shooting rampage


A 41-year-old man was arrested Friday night on seven charges of aggravated assault and weapons violations after a drunken rampage inside a West Philadelphia apartment, police said.

About 10:30 p.m., Stanley Jones - a security guard who has a permit to carry a gun - arrived at his apartment building on 51st Street near Locust and saw his 26-year-old girlfriend standing outside.

Police said Jones was drunk, and suspected that his girlfriend was waiting outside to meet another man.

The couple started arguing outside, and took the fight to the bedroom of their third-floor apartment, police said.

Eventually, Jones pulled his gun from his holster and his girlfriend told police she thought he was going to put it in the closet.

Instead, he pointed the gun at her.

Jones said, “You think I’m stupid, I know what’s going on,” said Lt. John Walker of the Southwest Detective Division.

The woman pleaded with him and told him there were children on the other side of the door. Two of the woman’s friends - and her friends’ three children - were inside the apartment at the time.  

Jones fired a shot at the door and the woman begged him to stop, Walker said. He fired a second shot at the door, then slipped on a pile of clothes and fell to the floor.

The woman jumped on top of Jones and tried to wrestle the gun away. During the scuffle, a third shot was fired through the floor and into the bedroom of an apartment on the second floor.

The bullet missed a 24-year-old woman who was lying in bed by about five feet. Two children, ages 1 and 8, were also in the second-floor apartment at the time, Walker said.

Police arrived on the scene and found crying children and their parents outside. They told cops that Jones was inside and was armed with a gun, Walker said. Police rushed into the building and found Jones inside the apartment.

“They see Mr. Jones standing there with the gun in his right hand, they’re able to disarm him and bring him into custody,” Walker said.

Jones put up a fight and was tazed twice until he could be subdued, Walker said.

He was being treated at Mercy Hospital early Saturday morning, and is awaiting arraignment.

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog

Philly Confidential, which covers crime in Philadelphia and the suburbs, is written by Daily News staffers Dana DiFilippo, Stephanie Farr and Vinny Vella.

E-mail tips to DiFilippo at and follow her on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Farr at and follow her on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Vella at and follow him on Twitter here.

The Philly Confidential team
Also on
letter icon Newsletter