Robert Nixon, another local man who claimed to have been shot last year by Marvin Harrison, is expected to file a civil lawsuit against the NFL star tomorrow.
Wadud Ahmad, Nixon’s attorney, said the suit will seek “well over $100,000” for physical and psychological damage that was caused on April 29, 2008, when Nixon said he was wounded in the back by a bullet fired from Harrison’s gun in North Philadelphia.
“That bullet is still in his back,” Ahmad said. “He still experiences extreme discomfort.”
Nixon previously told authorities that he had witnessed Harrison shoot at another man, Dwight Dixon, after a fistfight near a garage Harrison owns on Thompson Street near 25th.
Ahmad said Nixon was wounded as he tried to run from the scene. Dixon was also wounded in the left hand during that incident.
A lengthy police investigation found that at least five bullets had been fired that day from a Belgian-made handgun Harrison owns.
District Attorney Lynne Abraham announced in January that she was not going to file charges against Harrison because prosecutors couldn’t vouch for the credibility of Dixon, Nixon and others.
Abraham said the men at the center of the case gave investigators nine different versions of the shooting.
Nixon — who was placed in witness protection during the investigation — “was left to wonder why his life doesn’t have any value,” Ahmad said.
Dixon, meanwhile, is still fighting for his life after a gunman riddled him with seven bullets in Fairmount shortly before 11 a.m. Tuesday.
The 33-year-old was admitted to Hahnemann University Hospital in critical condition. Investigators said last night that they still knew of no suspects or motives.
“He’s in pretty bad shape. They operated on him for 10 hours, and right now, he’s unresponsive,” said Robert Gamburg, the attorney who represents Dixon in a civil suit that was filed against Harrison last fall.