Saturday, October 25, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Archive: March, 2009

POSTED: Wednesday, April 1, 2009, 12:23 AM

Excerpt of story in today's Daily News:

Scattered test papers and spattered blood marked the spot where a 10th grader from CEP Hunting Park was critically wounded yesterday.
Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said the 16-year-old boy, who was not identified, was shot in the head and chest at 3:45 p.m., while he waited to board a bus about a block north of the displinary school, just moments after dismissal.
The teen was “clinging to life” last night at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, with his mother by his side, Small said.
The shooting came a week after the victim — who formerly attended Olney High School — was involved in a fight with several other teens, Small said. Investigators identified a 17-year-old boy as a suspect, but it was unclear if he attended CEP or a local school, Small said.
The shooter is about 5-foot-11, and wore blue jeans and a dark hooded sweatshirt. He fled through Greenmount Cemetery, across the street from CEP, where police canines later searched in vain, Small said.
James Golden, the school district’s chief safety executive, said it was unclear if CEP’s outdoor surveillance cameras captured images of the shooting.
Golden noted the gunman was “brazen,” since school police and 25th District cops who were maintaining their usual presence outside CEP were “within yards” of the bus. Extra security was dispatched to the school yesterday morning, he said.

David Gambacorta @ 12:23 AM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 1:21 AM

Jermaine Goodman, who was wanted for shooting an unarmed Pathmark security guard on March 22, was captured last night in South Philadelphia by the FBI Violent Crimes Task Force.  Tips led investigators to a rowhouse on Christian Street near 16th, where they found Goodman – who turned 30 yesterday – hiding on the third floor, said Lt. John Walker of Southwest Detectives. After a brief struggle, he was arrested and charged with attempted murder and related offenses. Walker said surveillance footage had shown Goodman, who also goes by the name Zahid Abdul-Muqeet, stealing cologne and dental floss from a Wynnefield Heights Pathmark last Sunday. He then shot the 44-year-old guard twice during a confrontation, Walker said. The guard is now recovering at home.

David Gambacorta @ 1:21 AM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 1:11 AM

Quick excerpt on a story I'm sure you've all heard about by now:

ALHINDE WEEMS, armed with his gun and Philadelphia police badge, allegedly was pumped and ready to go.
After weeks of covert meetings and careful planning, Weems met yesterday morning at a local hotel with two of his trusted associates, eager to finally put his scheme in motion. The 5 1/2-year police veteran was ready to rob — and possibly shoot — a narcotics supplier, law-enforcement officials said.
And then everything fell apart. FBI agents swarmed in and arrested Weems, 33, the main target of a three-month corruption investigation run by the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
The skinny cop had been living a life of a character in an urban crime film. Authorities said Weems was a drug dealer who became a cop but continued to peddle drugs on the side.
News of Weems’ criminal dealings sent shockwaves through the Police Department. Most of the department’s top brass weren’t even aware of the investigation until yesterday, and many wondered how a man accused of being so morally bankrupt could serve among them.“This kind of thing makes you sick,” said Deputy Commissioner Richard Ross. “This man tarnished the reputation of our department and everyone else who is out there laying their lives on the line and protecting people.”
Weems, a married father of four who spent his career in the 18th District in West Philadelphia, got away with his double life for years, according to authorities.
His luck ran out in December, when a confidential informant working for the ATF Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives claimed he knew a Philly cop who was involved in drug trafficking, said Linda D. Hoffa, chief of the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

You can pick up the rest of the story in Saturday's Daily News, of course. One thing I can say for sure: this won't be the last you hear about Weems.

David Gambacorta @ 1:11 AM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Friday, March 27, 2009, 12:10 AM

Police found drugs, chewed up pit bulls and training equipment for a dog-fighting operation in a Germantown barbershop last night.

Narcotics Capt. Debra Frazier said officers raided the Lil Man Barbershop, on Germantown Avenue near Wister Street, and confiscated one pound of marijuana and one gram of crack.

The cops found a homemade treadmill, weights and two pit bulls - one of whom was scarred with bite marks - in the basement of the shop, Frazier said. Officers with the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals were called to the scene and took both dogs.

David Gambacorta @ 12:10 AM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 5:33 PM
The Commuter Bandit, in happier times.

If you're going to get caught after a busy three-month bank robbery spree, you might as well go down in style.

Take, for instance, Anthony Boyd, an alleged lanky stickup artist we first told you about on Wednesday. FBI officials say Boyd, 39, pulled off 17 bank heists in New York and Philadelphia since Jan. 7. He struck in Philadelphia twice, both times at Citizens Bank branches: Feb. 26, at 17th and JFK Boulevard, and March 14, at 20th and Market streets.

Boyd, a New York resident dubbed the "Commuter Bandit" by the FBI, was finally captured Wednesday night at the Borgata Hotel, Casino & Spa in Atlantic City, N.J. He was spotted walking out of a Borgata elevator by FBI agents and New Jersey State Police officers. Each of the 17 bank robbery charges he faces could bring a 20-year maximum sentence, the FBI said.

David Gambacorta @ 5:33 PM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 5:13 PM

Update: Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore says a suspect has now been charged in this horrific sexual assault case. The offender is Walter Vicks, 19. Vanore says cops were called to 56th Street for a "report of a person screaming." Vicks fled the property when police arrived, but was captured a few blocks later.

Vick allegedly forced the 10-year-old boy off his bike and assaulted him inside the rowhouse at knifepoint. The knife was found at the scene, in addition to other evidence, which included some of the boy's clothing, the Daily News learned earlier tonight.  

A 10-year-old boy claimed he was pulled off his bike in Southwest Philly earlier today, dragged into a house and sexually assaulted, police say.

David Gambacorta @ 5:13 PM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:55 PM

An argument got unexpectedly out of hand earlier today at the Dirty Hands Cycle repair shop in West Philadelphia.
Police sources said Dumar Combs, 18, and Waddell Wagstaff, 25, arrived together at the motorcycle and ATV repair shop at 61st and Lancaster Avenue at about 4:25 p.m.
A conversation between the two men and the wheelchair-bound owner of Dirty Hands Cycle got heated, and Combs and Wagstaff both pulled out weapons and opened fire, the sources said.
Combs was wounded once in the groin. Neither the shop owner, who was not identified by police, nor Wagstaff were wounded.
Sources said Combs limped to his car and sped off, only to crash about two blocks later. Police said he fled his vehicle, but left behind his identification.
Combs managed to get another ride to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was treated and listed in stable condition last night.
An arrest warrant was expected to be issued for Wagstaff on charges that include aggravated assault and weapons violations, sources said. His whereabouts were unknown.

David Gambacorta @ 11:55 PM  Permalink | 0 comments
POSTED: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:40 PM

A 30-year-old man was fatally shot in Nicetown earlier tonight. Darryl Marks was shot at least four times by two men during an apparent attempted robbery at 19th and Cayuga streets at about 8 p.m., said Homicide Sgt. Bob Wilkins.

Marks, of Algard Street near Benner in Northeast Philadelphia, died 20 minutes later. Wilkins said there was little information about the two suspects. Tipsters can call the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334 or -3335.

David Gambacorta @ 11:40 PM  Permalink | 0 comments
About this blog

Philly Confidential, which covers crime in Philadelphia and the suburbs, is written by Daily News staffers Dana DiFilippo, Stephanie Farr, Vinny Vella and Morgan Zalot.

E-mail tips to DiFilippo at and follow her on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Farr at and follow her on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Vella at and follow him on Twitter here.

E-mail tips to Zalot at and follow her on Twitter here.

The Philly Confidential team
Also on
Stay Connected