9 shot, 4 dead in overnight violence; year's murder tally climbs to more than 1 per day

As summer temperatures rose over the weekend, so did Philadelphia’s grim body count – between 10 p.m. Saturday and 5 a.m. Sunday, three people were shot to death on the streets of Philadelphia, nine total were wounded in six separate shootings and a man was stabbed to death.

The bloodshed began just after 10 p.m., when cops say a 27-year-old man was shot in the left thigh on Daggett Street near Greenway Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia’s Mount Moriah section.

That man was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and listed in critical condition early Sunday.

Within two hours of that, cops had the first homicide of the night on their hands when a 26-year-old man was shot once in the back and twice in the right arm on 38th Street near Mount Vernon in Mantua at 11:44 p.m., then pronounced dead at Penn’s Presbyterian Hospital about a half-hour later.

After that shooting, the violence slowed for about an hour, before three were killed and five shot in three separate incidents that happened within minutes of each other in different corners of the city.

At 1:12 a.m., a 19-year-old man was shot once in the neck at Market and Preston streets in West Philly, police said. He was taken to HUP, where he clung to life for about two hours before being pronounced dead at 3:15 a.m.

Within six minutes of that shooting, cops said, a man was stabbed to death in South Philadelphia and four people were shot – one fatally – in a different neighborhood across the Schuylkill River from the scenes of the night’s other shootings.

The 1:16 a.m. stabbing left a 44-year-old bartender dead of two wounds to the chest inside T Barr’s Bar at 8th and Jackson streets in South Philly, police said. That victim was pronounced at the scene by medics at 1:25 a.m.

Two minutes after police received that call, four people were shot during a party on Spangler Street near Allegheny Avenue in North Philadelphia. One of the victims, who remained unidentified later Sunday, was shot in the head and pronounced dead where he fell on the street. Police rushed a 19-year-old man hit in the side in that shootout to Temple University Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition. Two other male victims, ages 34 and 38, both suffered gunshot wounds to their lower extremities and were listed in stable condition, police said.

No arrest was made in the shooting, but cops said ballistic evidence indicated that there were at least two shooters who engaged in a running gun battle down the block, littering the street and sidewalk with about 50 shell casings and damaging several parked cars.

Police were unsure what sparked that exchange of gunfire and were still at the scene investigating well into Sunday morning.

As cops worked through the night on that shootout, yet another man fell victim to gun violence shortly after 3 a.m., this time inside a bar in the North Philadelphia’s Fairhill section.

Cops said the victim, who they estimate is in his late 20s or early 30s, was shot once in the chest inside Tony’s Place at 8th Street and Lehigh Avenue. A private auto dropped him off at nearby Episcopal Hospital, where he was placed in critical condition and later transferred to Temple University Hospital, according to police.

Throughout the night of violence, that was the only incident in which police took a suspect into custody. No formal charges in the shooting had been announced as of Sunday evening, however.

A little more than an hour after that shooting, cops responded to their sixth shooting overnight when a 34-year-old man who’d been shot on Germantown Avenue near Venango Street walked into Temple University Hospital’s emergency room. That man, who’d been hit once in the back, was listed in stable condition later Sunday morning.

The overnight violence pushed the city’s yearly murder count to more than a homicide a day, with 178 people murdered in the 176 days of 2012, keeping the year on track to be the city's deadliest since 2007.

Meanwhile, police on Sunday arrested Shekinah Williams, 28, who they say is the second shooter wanted in the murder of Clarice Douglas, a mother of three fatally caught in the crossfire of an April shootout between two thugs on Corlies Street near Dickinson in Grays Ferry. The other alleged shooter in that slaying, Hakeem Burley, was wounded in the shooting and already in police custody.

The violent weekend came on the heels another quadruple shooting last weekend, where a Saturday shootout during a crowded block party in Logan left a 2-year-old with a gunshot wound to the stomach and three men injured. Authorities late last week pleaded with citizens for tips in that incident, saying that of about 200 people who were on the street when it happened, not one gave investigators any solid information about it.

As always, tipsters may remain anonymous and should contact police online, at 215-686-8477 or via text at 773847.