Sunday, February 14, 2016

Archive: October, 2012

POSTED: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 2:02 PM

Look what Chris Christie started by postponing Halloween until Monday on account of Sandy ...

Nether Providence Township in Delaware County says it has decided to "move" Halloween trick-or-treating to Saturday. A statement on its website reads: "This event has been postponed for the safety of the children of the community. There are still a number of downed trees and power lines, power outages, and road closures, as well as storm debris cleanup taking place throughout the Township. Your family’s cooperation is greatly appreciated."

I don't know where the government got all this power to move holidays around, but I do know that there are now at least three Halloweens on my radar.

POSTED: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 6:28 PM

elaware County clocked 3,286 storm-related incidents during Hurricane Sandy, including downed trees and flooded roadways, but there were no reports of any serious injuries during the storm, according to County Emergency Services director Ed Truitt.

"The first thing on the agenda, nobody got hurt in Delaware County," said Truitt. "Things can be replaced, people can't."
The only storm-related injury marked in the county was to a two-month old child who was injured when a tree fell through the roof of a home in Upper Darby Monday morning. The child suffered cuts from branches and was taken to an area hospital, but her injuries were not life-threatening.
The highest number of storm related incidents was in Darby, where 448 events were reported, and the lowest number of reported incidents was in Rose Valley, where just two incidents were reported, Truitt said.
The most harrowing call perhaps was in Collingdale, where a downed, live wire trapped 28 residents of two apartment buildings and one house inside their homes for an hour while their roofs were ablaze in a three-alarm fire, said Collingdale Police Chief Bob Adams.
Around 8:30 p.m. Monday, high winds caused a PECO line to break free from its pole and it began swinging along the roofs and out front of the three buildings along MacDade Boulevard near Hillside Avenue.
"People couldn't get out of their houses because the line was still burning and the houses were energized," Adams said.
For about an hour, until PECO crews could de-energize the line, the 28 residents were forced to stay in their homes while small fires burned on their roofs and the broken line burned free on the pavement in front of their houses, Adams said.
Once power to the line was shut off, the residents were evacuated. All but two were able to find shelter on their own. Those two people were taken to a Red Cross shelter in Ridley, Adams said. All three structures suffered minor damage.
In flood-prone Darby, where the Darby Creek often overflows its banks, borough officials were counting their blessings that there were no flooded streets and power had been restored to all residents by noon.
"Thank God we dodged the storm and Darby is being blessed today," said Mayor Helen Thomas. "The creek looks so good."
Police Chief Robert Smythe said the biggest incident in the borough was a blown transformer that caused two poles to come down around 3 p.m. He said PECO workers went up in the wind and rain to get it fixed.
"When the rain and wind was hitting those guys were like 'We've got to get this done,'" Smythe said. "I thought it was a very big risk to put the pole trucks up, but they got those folks back on in a half hour."
Still, about half the borough lost power around 11 p.m. Monday, he said. That included the Darby Community Center, where about 50 people sought refuge at an emergency shelter set up there. A backup generator provided power to the center, but it got chilly quick, said April Overton, who stayed the night at the shelter with her children, mother and other relatives.
"They took care of us though and gave us more blankets," said Overton. "Overall, I'm just happy we were safe, that no one got hurt and I just thank God for all these people here."
Her mother, Theresa Overton, agreed.
"There was plenty of love and that's what we need a lot of," she said. "Everybody getting together and working together and loving together and helping each other because we never know what's coming up in front of us."
The Overtons were some of the last remaining evacuees at the center, which sheltered about 50 people Monday. The center was closed down by 2 p.m., once electricity had been restored to all homes.
Sylvia and Eric Jackson of Colwyn volunteered at the center Tuesday, driving evacuated residents like 78-year-old Dorothy Jones back to their homes.
"We're doing this to help the senior citizens out," said Sylvia Jackson, 66. "I know the mayor and I told her 'If you need our help, we're available,' and she said 'Come on down.'"
Darby Council President Janice Davis, who had manned the shelter since Sunday evening, had just one bone to pick with Hurricane Sandy after stopping by her house Tuesday to assess any damage.
"The only thing I'm upset about through this whole storm is my goddarn Obama sign blew away!" she said. "I'm upset. I'm mad about it!"

Delaware County clocked 3,286 storm-related incidents during Hurricane Sandy, including downed trees and flooded roadways, but there were no reports of any serious injuries during the storm, according to County Emergency Services director Ed Truitt.

POSTED: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 1:01 PM
The Darby Creek did not flood during Hurricane Sandy, to the relief of Darby Borough officials.

Darby Borough Council President Janice Davis burst through the front doors of the emergency shelter at the Darby Community Center this morning with a bone to pick with Hurricane Sandy.

"The only thing I'm uspet about through this whole storm is my goddarn Obama sign blew away!" she said. "I'm upset! I'm mad about it!"

The fact that Davis' only gripe about Sandy was a missing sign illustrates just how little damage the flood-prone borough suffered during the storm.

POSTED: Monday, October 29, 2012, 8:57 PM

Ram's Head Tavern in Clifton Heights describes itself as, "Where great minds come to meet" ... and, apparently, toast Sandy by raising a 40 oz. bottle of godawful Hurricane malt liquor

Hey, why not?

Can't wait for the March drink specials.

Daily Delco recommends: Chase with Tully
POSTED: Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 10:43 AM

A former Colwyn Borough cop who Tasered a juvenile while the boy was handcuffed and shackled in a holding cell earlier this year was found not guilty of simple assault and official oppression this morning in Delaware County Court. 

Trevor Parham never denied he Tased the teen but said his act was not criminal. His lawyer, Thomas Fitzpatrick, said what they've maintained from the beginning is that Parham's actions were departmental and not criminal issues. 

"This case had been used as a political football," Fitzpatrick said.

POSTED: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:17 AM
Alleged murder weapon (Upper Darby Police )

A man was killed in Upper Darby this morning by another man who used a 12-inch dagger emblazoned with a serpent, wings and a deformed face to stab his victim 12 times, police said.

Around 3:30 a.m. this morning, police were called to South Cedar Avenue where they found a man in his 30s with eight stab wounds to his chest, two to his his back and two to his arms, said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene but a witness was able to describe the suspect to police, who later found the alleged assailant hiding barefoot about three blocks away from the scene, police said. He is expected to be charged with murder.

POSTED: Monday, October 22, 2012, 2:28 PM

The Upper Darby house of a local strip club promoter was targeted over the weekend by two armed invaders who terrorized the man's girlfriend and child and ran off with $60,000 in cash, according to police.

The 40-year-old victim, whose name was not released, is a promoter for Club Onyx on Columbus Boulevard in South Philadelphia, a venue which bills itself as the "No. 1 urban adult strip club in your city," according to the establishment's website.

"The victim has nothing to do with the ownership of the club but he promotes these pole-dancing strip shows and brings in all these strippers from all over the country," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood. "We hear it's so busy on the nights he runs these shows that it would take you 20 minutes in line to get to the bathroom."

POSTED: Monday, October 15, 2012, 1:34 PM
Police Lt. Jonathan Josey is to be fired.

Apparently, Highway Patrol Lt. Jonathan Josey, recently fired for sucker-punching a woman in the face, and Colwyn police Cpl. Trevor Parham, charged with Tasering a 17-year-old while he was handcuffed in a jail cell then texting a "lol" about the incident to another cop, are like BFFs or something, according to NBC10:

It turns out the two officers are friends, and have known each other for 30 years, according to Parham. Parham revealed this while speaking with NBC10 after his court appearance on Monday. The former Colwyn Borough Police Officer is accused of tasering a handcuffed teen prisoner.

Both men also have similar extracurricular activities. Josey runs a production company, "Brothers In Blue," and played a detective in the 2011 movie "Operation: Get Rid of Pinky," a gym instructor in the 2010 movie "Sure Looks Good" and a lawyer in the 2011 movie "Love and Litigation," according to his IMDB profile. Parham is a filmmaker who can be seen in the below video.

About this blog
In The Daily Delco blog, Daily News reporters William Bender and Stephanie Farr dig up all the dirt - from crazy crimes to political malfeasance and everything in between - in Delaware County.

E-mail tips to Bender at or call him at 215-964-2099. Follow him on Twitter: @wbender99

E-mail tips to Farr at or call her at 215-854-4225. Follow her on Twitter: @farfarraway

William Bender and Stephanie Farr
Also on
letter icon Newsletter