Deadly weekend in Delco

The tragedies just wouldn't end in Delaware County this weekend, where six people died and five others were wounded in separate incidents across the county.

In the most recent incident, a car wreck on Baltimore Pike near Lehann Circle in Clifton Heights claimed the life of a young pedestrian who was struck when one of the vehicles plowed into him and his friends around 9:35 p.m. Sunday, said Clifton Heights Police Chief Tim Rockenbach. 

The victim, Donte Desimone, 18, of Upper Darby, was talking with two of his friends on the sidewalk when the collission sent one of the vehicles onto the sidewalk and into the group, police said. One of the teens walked away unharmed, but Desimone died from his injuries. The third boy remains in critical but stable condition at an area hospital, according to police.

Rockenbach said both drivers stayed on the scene and voluntarily provided blood samples, though neither were suspected of driving under the influence of intoxicants.

"At this point it’s what it is - a tragedy," Rockenbach said.

Chester marked three shootings this weekend, two of which ended in homicides. The most notable incident happened around 1 a.m. Sunday when a 31-year-old man who tried to rob a 22-year-old man outside a bar on Third Street near Thurlow was shot to death by his victim, who was licensed to carry a concealed firearm, according to the Delaware County Daily Times. The victim, who was also shot during the course of the robbery, remains in serious condition.

Just 42 minutes later and 11 miles away, a police officer in Collingdale who spotted three men arguing in the parking lot of a Dunkin' Donuts on MacDade Boulevard near Springfield Road watched as one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the other two, according to reports. The victims survived their injuries but police are still searching for the shooter.

A grim discovery was made in Eddystone Sunday afternoon, when the body of a man was reportedly found in an elevator at the Baldwin Tower apartment complex on Chester Pike near Simpson Street around 2 p.m. There is no word yet on the cause of death or the identity of the victim.

At 2:20 p.m. Sunday, police in Wayne received a call from a man who had shot his wife to death and would eventually shoot himself to death in a murder-suicide that has left three children orphaned.

One of the chiefs I spoke with Monday morning sounded exhausted.

"It's been a bad weekend," he said.