In strictly basketball news, the 76ers hosted a set of pre-draft workouts today at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. Today’s workouts were the team’s third and fourth of the pre-draft session. The Sixers hold the No. 16 and No. 50 picks in the 2011 NBA Draft, scheduled for June 23.
Here were the groups present during today’s workouts:
Working out from 10-11:15 a.m. were the following players:
1. Keith Benson (Oakland): 6-foot-11 center. Averaged 17.9 points and 10.1 rebounds a game last season for Oakland.
2. Justin Harper (Richmond): 6-foot-10 forward. Averaged 17.9 points and 6.9 rebounds a game last season.
3. Nikola Vucevic (USC): listed as a 6-foot-10 forward. Averaged 17.1 points and 10.3 rebounds a game last season for USC.
4. Jordan Williams (Maryland): 6-foot-10 forward. Early entry candidate after two seasons at Maryland. Last season averaged 16.9 point and 11.8 rebounds a game.
Working out immediately after were the following players:
1. Jordan Hamilton (Texas): 6-foot-7 guard/forward. Early entry candidate after sophomore season. Averaged 18.6 points and 7.7 rebounds during his sophomore season at Texas.
2. Scotty Hopson (Tennessee): 6-foot-7 guard. Played three seasons for the Vols, averaged 17.0 points and 3.3 rebounds last season.
3. Malcolm Lee (UCLA): 6-5 guard. Left UCLA after his junior season, during which he averaged 13.1 points and 3.1 rebounds a game.
4. Josh Selby (Kansas): 6-2 guard from Baltimore. Left Kansas after his freshman season. Averaged 7.9 points and 2.2 assists during that freshman season.
5. Chris Singleton (Florida State): 6-8 forward, played three seasons for the Seminoles, averaged 13.1 points and 6.8 rebounds during his junior season.
Of the first week of workouts, today’s group of players includes the most promising prospects. It’s not a stretch to say that there’s a distinct possibility the Sixers’ No. 16 pick comes out of one of these two groups. The Sixers are keeping close tabs on the progress and evaluation of Vucevic, who could be the promising big man they’re hoping to nab on June 23.
We caught up with Vucevic after today’s workout, which was his second time meeting with the Sixers (he also sat down with them at the NBA combine in Chicago).
“They say they need size and presence inside,” Vucevic said. “They say they have interest in me so I was just coming here and trying to show what I can do and help this team. We had a good meeting, twice. So it’s been good.”
We’re staying on the possibility of a Monta Ellis/Andre Iguodala trade, as well as yesterday’s huge news about Comcast-Spectacor being in advanced discussions to sell the team. If you want to follow quick-hit news on Twitter, you can do that here: Deep Sixer.
More as it happens.
Each week, Kate will check in from the road and answer fan questions about the Sixers. Click here to ask Kate a question or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.