At this morning's press conference, Mayor Nutter explained the timeline for the 3,000 employee layoffs outlined under the Plan C budget. That budget will soon be enacted if Harrisburg lawmakers don't approve legislation allowing Philadelphia to temporarily raise the sales tax and change payments into the pension fund.
- Tomorrow: The layoff registers for the city's 12,000 workers -- which rank employees based on a number of factors, inluding seniority -- will be complete.
- Sept. 11: The Office of Human Resources will approve the register.
- Sept.17: Unions will be notified of layoff plans.
- Sept. 18: Employees will be notified.
- Oct. 2: Layoffs will be effective.