Demo work halted on Daly Street blast site

House Collapse
A demolition worker views the aftermath of a row house collapsed, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, in Philadelphia. The house collapsed after a natural-gas explosion Monday, severely damaged neighboring houses and hurting at least eight people. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Common Pleas Court Judge Ellen Ceisler this morning granted an attorney's request to inspect, photograph and record evidence at the site of an explosion that leveled three properties in South Philly earlier this week. 

Demolition and cleanup work will be halted at 426, 428 and 430 Daly Street until Aug. 7, according to the order.

"We're going to do an inspection on Tuesday morning, along with another law firm," said Christopher Moyer, an attorney who is representing Daly Street resident Sekeya Fields.

"We're going to store some of the debris from the explosion and make sure that it'll be analyzed."

Moyer filed a lawsuit  Tuesday on behalf of Fields, her daughter, Shaquorie, and Fields' boyfriend, Jukennith Smith,  against SCK Investments, the company that owns 428 Daly. 

The rehabbed rowhouse was the source of a blast on Monday that tore down the two neighboring properties. Fields, her boyfriend and her daughter lived at 430 Daly.  

Fire Department Executive Chief Richard Davison said today that the investigation into the cause of the explosion is still ongoing. 

Moyer said he believed another law firm was representing Steven Barrientos, who was critically injured while working inside 428 Daly when the explosion occurred. 

City Councilman Mark Squilla said earlier this week that he had been told by numerous sources that Barrientos lit a cigarette inside the house after he might have tried unsuccessfully to light a water heater. Mayor Nutter later said the claim was "pure speculation."

Continue Reading