Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Occupy Philly appeals proposed permit

As expected, members of Occupy Philly today appealed the proposed permit that was offered by the city earlier this week.

Occupy Philly appeals proposed permit

Protesters affiliated with Occupy Philly encampment at City Hall march to the Market Street bridge Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011, in Philadelphia. <br />(AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
Protesters affiliated with Occupy Philly encampment at City Hall march to the Market Street bridge Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

As expected, members of Occupy Philly today appealed the proposed permit that was offered by the city earlier this week.

City officials on Monday laid out the terms of a permit that would have allowed the protesters demonstrate on Thomas Paine Plaza, outside of the Municipal Services Building, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. until Dec. 20.

Tents and overnight sleepovers would not have been allowed.

Members of Occupy Philly voted on Tuesday to appeal the proposed permit, as well as the city's rejection of an application that members of the group filed last week that was aimed at allowing camping at the new site.

More coverage

The protest movement has called Dilworth Plaza home since early October. The plaza is scheduled to soon undergo a $50 million makeover.

The appeal (you can read it here) claims the movement wouldn't adversely impact public health or safety, which were reasons cited by the city for why it couldn't allow a campsite to form at Paine Plaza.

Mayor Nutter and other city officials complained last week about worsening conditions at the Dilworth encampment, from a handful of assaults to a reported rape to worsening sanitary conditions.

Mayoral spokesman Mark McDonald said Occupy Philly's appeals are "under review."

City Managing Director Rich Negrin is working to have a response ready after the Thanksgiving holiday, McDonald said.

It's unclear if the appeal will lead to further negotiations with the city.

On Monday, Everett Gillison, Mayor Nutter's chief of staff, said the city would provide the protesters with a two-day notice before evicting them from Dilworth Plaza. He also noted that they were allowed to stay at Dilworth until construction on the plaza is about to begin.

A start date for the project has not been set.

About this blog
Chris Brennan, a native Philadelphian and graduate of Temple University, joined the Daily News in 1999. He has written about SEPTA, the Philadelphia School District, the legalization of casino gambling, state government, the mayor, the governor, City Council and political campaigns. E-mail tips to brennac@phillynews.com
 Follow Chris on Twitter

Jenny DeHuff is a 2005 graduate of the University of Rhode Island, where she cut her teeth in journalism. A South Philly transplant from New England, she joined the Daily News City Hall Bureau in 2013. For the past several years, she has worked as an investigative reporter exposing corruption in suburban politics, covering sometimes ghastly criminal court cases and following the people’s money and how its spent. In addition to being a dogged news hound, she enjoys reading and writing about travel, animals, Irish whiskey and aviation. E-mail tips to dehuffj@phillynews.com
 Follow Jenny on Twitter.

Sean Collins Walsh is from Bucks County and went to Northwestern University. He joined the Daily News copy desk in 2012 and now covers the Nutter administration. Before that, he interned at papers including The New York Times, The Dallas Morning News and The Seattle Times. E-mail tips to walshSE@phillynews.com
 Follow Sean on Twitter

PhillyClout Team
Also on Philly.com
Stay Connected