Occupy Philly appeals proposed permit

As expected, members of Occupy Philly today appealed the proposed permit that was offered by the city earlier this week.

City officials on Monday laid out the terms of a permit that would have allowed the protesters demonstrate on Thomas Paine Plaza, outside of the Municipal Services Building, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. until Dec. 20.

112311_occupy_250
Protesters affiliated with Occupy Philly encampment at City Hall march to the Market Street bridge Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Tents and overnight sleepovers would not have been allowed.

Members of Occupy Philly voted on Tuesday to appeal the proposed permit, as well as the city's rejection of an application that members of the group filed last week that was aimed at allowing camping at the new site.

The protest movement has called Dilworth Plaza home since early October. The plaza is scheduled to soon undergo a $50 million makeover.

The appeal (you can read it here) claims the movement wouldn't adversely impact public health or safety, which were reasons cited by the city for why it couldn't allow a campsite to form at Paine Plaza.

Mayor Nutter and other city officials complained last week about worsening conditions at the Dilworth encampment, from a handful of assaults to a reported rape to worsening sanitary conditions.

Mayoral spokesman Mark McDonald said Occupy Philly's appeals are "under review."

City Managing Director Rich Negrin is working to have a response ready after the Thanksgiving holiday, McDonald said.

It's unclear if the appeal will lead to further negotiations with the city.

On Monday, Everett Gillison, Mayor Nutter's chief of staff, said the city would provide the protesters with a two-day notice before evicting them from Dilworth Plaza. He also noted that they were allowed to stay at Dilworth until construction on the plaza is about to begin.

A start date for the project has not been set.

Continue Reading