Saturday, April 6, 2013
Saturday, April 6, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: No Contract For Duck Boat Company

Get inside the halls of Philadelphia power with PhillyClout: Inside City Hall, the blog by the Philadelphia Daily News' city hall reporters.

email

BREAKING NEWS: No Contract For Duck Boat Company

POSTED: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 11:21 AM

Mayor Nutter today announced that the city will not award a contract to the amphibious tour company Ride the Ducks to operate on the Schuylkill River.

“The City has fully reviewed Ride the Ducks proposal for the Schuylkill River and does not feel that it meets the City’s standards for operations,” said Nutter in a press release.

Back in October, the city announced that Ride the Ducks would be moving to the Schuylkill in March. The boats, which previously toured the Delaware River, have not been in operation since a July 7 accident in which two tourists were killed.

Not long after that announcement, the city said it was legally required to permit a competitive bidding process. Ride The Ducks was the only bidder for the contract.

The prospect of moving the boats to the Schuylkill has met with substantial opposition in the surrounding neighborhoods. In today's announcement, Managing Director Rich Negrin said the city was concerned about the impact on traffic and how the tours could operate during special events.

On July 7, a duck boat with 37 people on board was hit by a city-owned sludge barge being pushed by a tugboat operated by a private contractor. The duck boat capsized, and two Hungarian tourists were killed.

For more details, here's the press release from the Mayor's Office:

CITY OF PHILADELPHIA DOES NOT AWARD CONTRACT FOR AMPHIBIOUS TOURS ON THE SCHUYLKILL RIVER

Philadelphia, January 25, 2011 – Mayor Michael A. Nutter announced today that the City of Philadelphia will not award a contract in response to its request for proposal (RFP) for an amphibious tour on the Schuylkill River.

“The City has fully reviewed Ride the Ducks proposal for the Schuylkill River and does not feel that it meets the City’s standards for operations,” said Mayor Nutter.

An RFP was issued on November 19, 2010 for Amphibious Tours on the Schuylkill River. The Managing Director’s Office, Parks and Recreation, the Office of Transportation and the Law Department carefully crafted that RFP to capture many community concerns, including noise, traffic, the on Schuylkill Banks and other potential disruptions of recreational uses on the River. Responses were due on December 22, 2010. Ride the Ducks submitted the only response

Managing Director Richard Negrin said, “We appreciate Ride the Ducks efforts to address community concerns, but when all is said and done the proposal’s potential traffic impact, the number of vessels that could be on the river at one time and the inability for the tours to operate during special events were issues with which the City was uncomfortable.”

A technical review committee consisting of representatives of the Managing Director’s Office, Office of Transportation, Parks and Recreation, Office of Economic Opportunity, Commerce Department and Planning Commission, with input from Finance, Law and Risk Management, unanimously recommended that the contract not be awarded.

Catherine Lucey @ 11:21 AM  Permalink | 30 comments
email
Comments  (30)
  • 1 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:30 AM, 01/25/2011
    Keep them on the Delaware.
    jp8899
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:39 AM, 01/25/2011
    Wow, a good decision from city government - someone take a picture!
    absherlock
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:44 AM, 01/25/2011
    True! Cynical/jaded me just things the right palms weren't greased.
    PotteryPete
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:44 AM, 01/25/2011
    It's almost surreal to read about such a good decision, especially when it means the city government doesn't grab all the money it can, I guess the voters and environment still matter a little around here.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:48 AM, 01/25/2011
    THANK GOD
    cmccdin
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:50 AM, 01/25/2011
    Thank you for making a sound decision here , Mr. Mayor.
    slanted and enchanted
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:56 AM, 01/25/2011
    Hate the Duck Boats...
    Russ
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:59 AM, 01/25/2011
    Can't imagine anyone other than the operators being disappointed with this.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:07 PM, 01/25/2011
    Finally good news - thank you for Mr. Mayor helping preserve the quality of life of Philadelphia!
    Friend of Fily
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:10 PM, 01/25/2011
    I liked the Duck Boat Tour. Several of my out of town guests enjoyed it. I think the tours should be allowed on the Delaware River with updated safety standards.
  • Comment removed.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 5:08 PM, 01/26/2011
    Who are you to decide what people should like or not?
    mica0406
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:16 PM, 01/25/2011
    Move the DUCK TOURS TO TH E MANAYUNK canal or to SOUTHERN new jersey! GET THOSE CROOKS OUTTA here
    FairmountFrank
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:16 PM, 01/25/2011
    Mongo will probably sue them anyway for some invented claim.
    Equality 7-2521
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:17 PM, 01/25/2011
    It's the moment to congratulate all those who had a role in letting public opinion prevail. It's the eternal struggle, and it's good to see a victory every now and then.
    DonQ


View comments: 1  |  2  |  3
About this blog
Chris Brennan, a native Philadelphian and graduate of Temple University, joined the Daily News in 1999. He has written about SEPTA, the Philadelphia School District, the legalization of casino gambling, state government, the mayor, the governor, City Council and political campaigns. E-mail tips to brennac@phillynews.com
 Follow Chris on Twitter

David Gambacorta spent a small eternity writing about cops, drug dealers and serial killers. Now he’s writing about power and politics ­– which sometimes reminds him of the old crime beat. He joined the Daily News in 2005. And yes, he knows you’re not quite sure how to pronounce his last name. E-mail tips to gambacd@phillynews.com
 Follow Dave on Twitter.

Jan Ransom, a native New Yorker, joined the Daily News in 2010 after graduating from Howard University. She has since written about the difficulty of filing police complaints, tax deadbeats and life after violent home invasions. She joined the Daily News City Hall Bureau in 2011 and has plunged headfirst into reporting on administration budget battles and City Council shenanigans. E-mail tips to ransomj@phillynews.com
 Follow Jan on Twitter

Sean Collins Walsh is from Bucks County and went to Northwestern University. He joined the Daily News copy desk in 2012 and now covers the Nutter administration. Before that, he interned at papers including The New York Times, The Dallas Morning News and The Seattle Times. E-mail tips to walshSE@phillynews.com
 Follow Sean on Twitter

PhillyClout Team
Blog archives:
Past Archives: