Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Tuesday, February 5, 2013

FBI raids doctor with ties to Sen. Menendez

FBI agents raided the offices of a West Palm Beach, Fla. eye doctor Tuesday night who has faced lurid, anonymous, accusations involving ties to New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez - accusations the Senator has denied.

email

FBI raids doctor with ties to Sen. Menendez

POSTED: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 2:36 PM

Updated with new comments from Sen. Menendez below.

New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez denied allegations reported online that he used prostitutes in the Dominican Republic, issuing a statement Wednesday afternoon after the FBI raided the offices of a friend also tied to the accusations.

"Any allegations of engaging with prostitutes are manufactured by a politically-motivated right-wing blog and are false," said a statement from Menendez's office.

The Democrat was forced to respond to the issue after FBI agents raided the offices of a financially troubled West Palm Beach, Fla. eye doctor Tuesday night who has faced accusations involving ties to Menendez.

The agency hauled away items from Dr. Salomon Melgen’s medical offices in several vans late Tuesday, the Miami Herald reported. The FBI would only confirm that “we are conducting law enforcement activity in the general vicinity of 2521 Metrocentre Blvd,” – the address of one of Melgen’s offices. "No further comment/information at this time."

Melgen, a prominent donor to Menendez and other Democrats, has an outstanding IRS lien of $11.1 million for taxes owed from 2006 to 2009, according to records filed with the Palm Beach County recorder’s office. A previous IRS lien for $6.2 million was released in 2011, the Herald wrote.

It was unclear Wednesday whether the FBI investigation had to do with Melgen's financial dealings or with prostitution.

The only publicly known ties between Menendez, Melgen and prostitution have come from reports on the conservative online publication the Daily Caller and a tipster who has communicated with an ethics group, the FBI and at least one reporter, but the accuser does not appears to have spoken to these investigators in person or on the phone, despite repeated requests for phone conversations or meetings.

Until today, the story has been almost entirely advanced by the Daily Caller.

UPDATED - 1:50 p.m.: Menendez's office issued this statement Wednesday afternoon:

"Dr. Melgen has been a friend and political supporter of Senator Menendez for many years. Senator Menendez has traveled on Dr. Melgen’s plane on three occasions, all of which have been paid for and reported appropriately.

Menendez has previously called the allegations involving prostitution “fallacious.”

The head of an independent ethics group in contact with the accuser told the Inquirer she became "increasingly skeptical" about the claims, noting that the accuser refused repeated requests to discuss the issue by phone and only came forward with four-year-old allegations in the midst of Menendez's re-election campaign. At the same time, the group's leader said reporters told her that Republican operatives were pushing the Menendez-prostitution link.

The Daily Caller has raised accusations that Menendez, with Melgen’s help, has visited prostitutes in the Dominican Republic, including some alleged to be underage. In November the site interviewed two women who said they were prostitutes who had sex with Menendez. Their faces were blurred so as to make them unidentifiable.

Last week the site reported on e-mails – posted on a separate Web site, whose ownership is unclear – that appear to be between the FBI and a source going by the name Peter Williams who has claimed to have knowledge of Menendez and Melgen’s activities.

In the e-mails an FBI agent says that most of Williams’ information is true, but does not specify which information. The FBI e-mails posted online do not appear to specifically mention Menendez. The Herald, citing sources familiar with the investigation, reported that the e-mails are real.

They show that Williams, over the course of at least five months, refused repeated requests to speak to the FBI or provide details about the prostitutes involved. The last e-mail exchange posted online was from late December. Reached by phone earlier this week, the agent, Regino Chavez, refused to comment.

Williams has also refused to speak to reporters and ethics investigators looking into the accusations.

He contacted Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a watchdog group, in the spring of 2012, saying he had information about Menendez’s visits to see prostitutes in 2008. He did not initially say they were underaged, but later added that detail. He sent detailed e-mails, but after months of contact Williams refused repeated requests to have phone conversations with CREW, according to its executive director, Melanie Sloan.

CREW passed his information on to the FBI and ABC News. Williams also refused requests to speak with ABC. He has not responded to requests for comment from the Inquirer.

“CREW took the allegations very seriously but there is something very suspicious about a source who repeatedly and for months refused to speak by phone to either us, other news outlets or the FBI,” Sloan said.

She said she grew “increasingly skeptical” about Williams’ claims, adding it was “odd” that he would come forward with allegations from 2008 in the midst of Menendez’s re-election campaign.

“If you really wanted Menendez brought to justice, you would be cooperating,” Sloan said.

The story, though, was kept alive by the Daily Caller and the raid Tuesday has blown the issue into the open. It comes just as Menendez assumes a prominent role in Washington, as one of a handful of Senators pushing for immigration reform and the likely chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

The Inquirer called Melgen Tuesday afternoon, before the raid, but he did not respond that message. Efforts to reach him Wednesday were not successful.

Melgen and his relatives are heavy Democratic donors. They gave 15,000 to Menendez in 2011 and $30,000 to the New Jersey Democratic State Committee in 2012, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

They started donating to Menendez at least as early as 1998, according to Federal Election Commission records.

Separately, a North Jersey man pleaded guilty Tuesday to steering $21,400 of illegal campaign contributions to Menendez on behalf of the donor's politically-connected brother.

Jonathan Tamari @ 2:36 PM  Permalink | 57 comments
email
Comments  (57)
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 10:40 AM, 01/30/2013
    One would think, logically, that after the sex scandals of Clinton, John Edwards, the Kennedys, Gary Hart, former NY Gov. Elliot Spitzer ( aka Person of Interest No. 9); former Gov. "Ahnold", and about 1000 other sleezy politicians, that these guys would realize that the truth usually gets out. With e-mails, cameras, and loose lips....their antics are exposed. This NJ senator Menendez ( if the charges stand up) should also be indiceted for being stupid as well as criminal. The arrogance of these people at the top, who think they are immune from justice is astounding. And Menedez frolics in these sex capers with a guy who owes millions in back taxes...while at the same time, he ( like all Dem. politicians) demands more and more taxes be extracted from the working people. Absolute scum and vermin.
    Henry Howard Earl of Surrey
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:51 AM, 01/30/2013
    If 59 year-old Bob Menendez was having sex with underage girls then that is RAPE, and he needs to go to prison!

    Read all about it at http://fedsinvestigationonsenmenendez.wordpress.com/

    You can see video interviews with some of the prostitutes, who are not afraid to give their real names. Decide for yourself whether these women are credible.

    If Bob Menendez really is a child-molester, than he needs to be removed from his Senate seat. We need to get to the bottom of this right away! Haven't we learned anything from JerrySandusky?
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 3:32 PM, 01/30/2013
    Jail? Do you really expect JerrySandusky type justice for this well-connected Democrat? I understand he was having sex with children, but different rules for different folks.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 10:46 AM, 01/30/2013
    I like his illegal immigrant workers/ sex predeators, kept quiet until after the election, of course.
    kelprod2-freemarket
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 10:53 AM, 01/30/2013
    maybe the whistle blower should come out from the shadows and spill the dirt on the record. if Menendez is guilty than toss him out.

    maybe i need to remind Henry Howard Earl of Surrey about the republican teenage pages, the republican cruising for sex in an airport men's room and Guz Ahnold.

    sleaze is nonpartisan but thanks for playing along
    save1nj
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:36 PM, 01/30/2013
    Try to read his whole post before you accuse him of being partisan. He mentioned Ahnold.
    Handsome B. Wonderful
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 3:27 PM, 01/30/2013
    There was a Republican former governor in his list of sleaze bags - but thanks for playing along.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 4:42 PM, 01/30/2013
    He did include offenders from both parties. So it turns out you are the insincere, biased poster. Next time read the post without anger. It clouds your mind. and you can't afford that because you barely have enough to use.
    Bob1
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 10:55 AM, 01/30/2013
    at least when menendez goes to prison christie can name a republican senator to replace him
    hannibal barca
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 12:38 PM, 01/30/2013
    I'm not sure about that. When Toricelli was about to go down they appointed Granny Lautenberg because they knew no one would stop them.
    Handsome B. Wonderful
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 1:00 PM, 01/30/2013
    in that case, torricelli took his name off the ballot, and lautenberg ran in his place in the nov. election. torricelli never resigned
    hannibal barca
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 1:28 PM, 01/30/2013
    Yeah, that was an election, not an appointment. Not to mention that the NJ Supreme Court was complicit in breaking NJ election law to allow Lautenberg on the ballot.
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:12 AM, 01/30/2013
    This guy will roll on menendez when the heat comes on
    tommy rivers
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:12 AM, 01/30/2013
    save1nj. He included "Ahnold" -- even spelled it like you...clever -- on his list. Thanks for playing along.
    Roger Podacter
  • 0 like this / 0 don't   •   Posted 11:27 AM, 01/30/2013
    Menendez has been a mostly ineffective senator. He exists because of the party and their support. He has allowed federal money to leave the state, did not voice concern about base closures and job losses. His only claim to fame is getting illegals green cards. It will be nice to see him go down. I'd say its just a matter of time before the details surface. Bye bye crook.
    Tommy33


View comments: 1  |  2  |  3  |  4
About this blog
Jonathan Tamari is the Inquirer’s correspondent in Washington, where he follows the Philadelphia area’s interests and representatives. Tamari comes to D.C. after two years as a beat writer reporting on the Philadelphia Eagles and the NFL (where, a political source once told him, there are at least rules against hitting below the knees). He previously wrote about politics and government from Trenton, reporting on the characters and color of New Jersey state government.

Jersey born and bred, Tamari now lives in the capital city, where he is looking for stories, places to run, soccer bars and good meals.

Reach him at jtamari@phillynews.com.

Follow Jonathan on Twitter: @JonathanTamari.

Jonathan Tamari  
Blog archives:
Past Archives: