Friday, July 31, 2015

Mall Clerks Dread the Week AFTER Black Friday

A couple of Cherry Hill Mall clerks say that when the dust settles after Black Friday, they spend at least the next week, or two, handling returns. And disappointed shoppers are worse than shoppers who are excited about bargains and who are a little more understanding to employees.

Mall Clerks Dread the Week AFTER Black Friday

Black Friday shoppers hit the stores at a mall
Black Friday shoppers hit the stores at a mall ROGELIO V. SOLIS / Associated Press

Black Friday is not the worst day ever for store clerks who find themselves at the mercy of crazed bargain-hungry masses.  The following week is what they dread.

So says Nia Harman and Tim Krykewycz, a Maple Shade couple that works at Express in the Cherry Hill Mall.  The two 20-year-olds agreed to answer a couple of questions as they headed back for a second shift on the retail market's biggest day of the year. 

"People were really nice - they feel bad for us and they understand," said Nia, describing her first Black Friday shift.  Tim shrugged and said he too didn't feel abused by the hordes of shoppers.

That was true even when a special four-hour sale began on midnight, and  "people were just grabbing everything," Nia said.  

Unfortunately, many shoppers, she said, then go home and notice they "got the wrong size and the wrong color." 

Or, they realize they foolishly bought an item they would never be caught dead in. 

This week and even the next, the clerks said they expect to handle return after return.  It's a tedious task.  And, disappointed shoppers are a little more testy than those who think they're about to get a great deal.  

Tim said his biggest problem with working on Black Friday is the parking.  The three-story parking garage next to Nordstrom's is often completely full despite an electronic sign that invites motorists in, wooing them with the prospect that a couple of hundred spaces are available.  

"The signs aren't accurate," he said, sighing.

The worst part, Tim said, is leaving.  "It took me an hour to get out," he said. 

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog

Written by Inquirer staff writer Jan Hefler, the Burlco Buzz blog covers breaking news in the the county, as well as its quirky characters, crime cases, politics, outdoor recreation and environment. Contact Jan at

Jan Hefler
Also on
letter icon Newsletter