Freshman Sen. Pat Toomey (R.,Pa.) has received assignments to subcommittees that will give him a voice in policy on aviation, Internet and cable communications, and the stock market, among others.
A member of the Commerce and Banking Committees in the Senate, the Republican leadership designated Toomey for seven subcommittees, which often do the nitty-gritty work in legislation and oversight.
Under Commerce, Toomey will be on the following subcommittees:
- Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security (Toomey's a licensed pilot)
- Communications, Technology, and the Internet (a good assignment for a Senator with Comcast in his state.)
- Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance
- Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
Under Banking, Toomey will be on the following subcommittees:
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment (he has expertise as a banker and on Wall St.)
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development