Ryan Howard's return to the Phillies could take another important step Wednesday.
The first baseman will be examined in Philadelphia by team doctors and if cleared, he will play for single-A Lakewood Thursday, which would officially begin his minor-league rehab assignment.
Just call me Carnac the Magnificent. Even Thome is still bashing home runs...but right here in Philly.
It was funny trying to dredge up the 2008 post, and seeing again how often I blogged about sports back then (remember, as recently as 4 years ago blogging was still "beneath" the sportswriters at the Daily News and Inquirer, so I had the playing field all to myself. Even then blogging was passe...but I digress). In That Championship Season, I used to blog the Phillies 2-3 a week, now it's been 2-3 times the entire year so far. So here goes...
It seems like the Phillies are at some kind of tipping point. There's a palpable change in mood with Utley and now Howard coming back and maybe Halladay fairly soon. I don't think it's because the hobbling Utley or Howard are going to bat .375 or hit homers in four out of five games (that's J-Roll's job) but I do think they are leaders, which is what this motley crew needs more than anything right now.
Do I think the season's over? No...I think there's an 80 percent chance the season is over, and a 10 percent chance they make the new one-game wild card playoff only to crush our mortal souls yet again. And I think there's a 10 percent chance of pure magic, of October pieces that begin with "Remember what it was like back in June when we thought the season was over..."
Over the past year, the Inquirer, the Daily News and Philly.com have uncovered corruption in local and state public offices, shed light on hidden and dangerous environmental risks, and deeply examined the region’s growing heroin epidemic. This is indispensable journalism, brought to you by the largest, most experienced newsroom in the region. Fact-based journalism of this caliber isn’t cheap. We need your support to keep our talented reporters, editors and photographers holding government accountable, looking out for the public interest, and separating fact from fiction. If you already subscribe, thank you. If not, please consider doing so by clicking on the button below. Subscriptions can be home delivered in print, or digitally read on nearly any mobile device or computer, and start as low as 25¢ per day. We're thankful for your support in every way.