Philadelphia Media Network, PBC
Philadelphia Media Network, PBC is a Public Benefit Company organized under the laws of Delaware, It is headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Through its affiliated companies, PMN publishes news and information through The Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Daily News, and through philly.com. PMN is also engaged in other activities related to its publications.
Scope of Policy.
Information that We Automatically Collect.
If you visit philly.com without registering as a user, we will gather, collect and store certain information about your use of our site automatically to allow us to analyze the use of the Site. The information that we automatically gather, collect and store, includes information about the personal computer, tablet, smart phone or other electronic device you use to access the Site, and may include internet protocol addresses, the type of browser you use, browser language(s), unique device identifiers, geolocation information and other information about your mobile phone or other mobile device(s), the location from which you accessed the Site or used any of our apps. That information may also include data about your use of the Site, including, for example, the pages that you have viewed on our Site, the time(s) that you have accessed the Site, the amount time you have spent on the pages you have visited on our Site, the date(s) and time(s) that you have accessed the Site, the number of times you have “clicked” each time you use the Site, how often you visit the Site, search data and search results and other information. In order to automatically collect information of our users’ use of the Site and our apps, we use certain third parties and their technologies. Those technologies include cookies. In some cases cookies allow us to collect information about the use of our Site by users who have not registered with the Site. None of that information is personally identifiable information.
Information We Collect When You Register with and/or sign into our Site.
When you register with philly.com, we collect the following information from you: your name, email address, postal address, phone number, mobile phone number, gender and birth year. Certain features of our Site (for example, subscription offers for print and digital editions), also request payment information. Registering on philly.com allows you enhanced participation in the services offered on philly.com, including commenting on certain articles on our site, connecting with the Site through social networking sites, entering contests and sweepstakes we offer, signing up to receive news updates, text messages and promotions from PMN and our advertisers, and downloading and/or using our mobile applications.
When we collect information about your location, we sometimes use that information to provide you with information and advertising customized for that location. In order to do that, we share certain location information about you with certain third-party technology providers and advertisers, or their service providers, who may have access to your IP address, zip code or other general location information. If you access the Site through a mobile device with GPS or similar functionality, and do not want to share this location information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking function on the mobile device, if your device has that capability.
Access to Information We Have Collected About You.
If you wish to access the personal information we have collected about you, or to update that information, please go to: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb
How We Use the Information We Collect.
We use the information that we collect for a wide range of purposes, including to provide you with Customer Service, to send you alerts regarding news and/or information that is of interest to you through e-mail, text messages, and/or SMS, to notify you about special offers, to attribute comments that you post on our Site or through SMS to you, to respond to other inquires made by you, to administer contest, sweepstakes or games of skill that you have entered on our Site, and for any other purpose for which you have provided information to us. We also use the information that we collect to produce reports and data about our user base and Site usage, to perform analytics and research aimed at improving our Site, to allow us to tailor your experience on the Site to your past usage and preferences, to display advertising suited to those preferences when you use the Site, to enforce our Terms of Service and to administer the operation of the Site.
When we send you e-mails that include promotional material, special offers or advertising on behalf of our advertisers and/or sponsors, we will include an opt-out that allows you to direct PMN to stop sending you those e-mails in the future.
Information Shared with Third Parties.
If you sign up to participate in a contest or sweepstakes, or to attend an event that we sponsor or host, we may share the information you provide to us to our sweepstakes or contest advertisers, operators, administrators or sponsors and the use of that information will be also governed by those advertisers’, operators’, or sponsors’ privacy policies or practices. We may also use that information, and/or allow third parties to use that information to provide you with special offers, and /or information about other contest, sweepstakes, promotions and/or events. We may also share information about you with our advertisers, for the purpose of allowing our advertisers to promote their goods and/or services to you, either through our Site or directly to you.
In the event that PMN is sold, merged, or re-organized, we reserve the right to share information about you with the buyer, successor, merged entity or other person or entity similarly situated.
PMN and its service providers may also use other technologies, such as Flash technologies, Web beacons or pixel tags, and other similar technologies, to deliver or communicate with cookies and track your use of our Site and the services available through our Site, and to serve our users with advertising when you are on other websites or the Internet when those cookies can be accessed. We also may include certain tracking tools in e-mail or text messages or newsletters to determine whether the message has been opened and to provide us with other information that measures that success of our communications with you. Our use of technology is constantly changing, and our use of technology to gather information about the use of our Site by our users will continue to advance, which may lead to additional gathering, collection, storage and use of our user’s use and experience on the Site.
How We Use Data Analytics and Certain Other Third Party Technologies.
We may also use certain other third party technologies to collect information about your use of other websites. Those technologies may provide us with your IP address and identify any web site that you visited immediately before using the Site. Those third party providers collect and use that information and provide it to us. We use that information to help us understand and analyze your use of the Site, and to better tailor advertising you see when you use the Site, to your preferences.
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Services to obtain information about how philly.com users use the Site. That information may be collected, gathered, stored and used by PMN and those third party providers for the purposes of analyzing your use of the Site. The information gathered, collected, stored and used through those analytics technologies may include the identity of any third-party website(s) that you used prior to arriving at philly.com, your interaction with ad impressions, and your IP address. We also use information provided by or through third party analytics technologies to tailor our serving of advertising to the interests of our users, to allow our advertisers to target their marketing efforts. The information gathered through analytics is also used to develop reports regarding usage of the Site.
Steps We Take to Protect Certain Information.
Disclosure of Your Information Through Legal Process.
Links to Third Party Sites.
The Site is hosted in the United States and is governed by the laws of the United States of America and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania applicable to contracts performed wholly therein.
The Site is not intended for use by individuals under the age of 13. Accordingly, PMN prohibits individuals under age 13 from using the Site. By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are at least 13 years of age.
If you have questions or comments regarding this policy, please contact us through our feedback form: http://www.philly.com/philly/about/feedback/
1. Responsible conduct. You agree to act responsibly at this site and to treat other visitors with respect.
2. Limited License/ Copyright and Intellectual Property Law Restrictions. Except for public domain material, the content on this site is protected by intellectual property laws, including U.S. copyright laws. You are hereby granted a non-exclusive license to use the material at this site ("Content") while connected to this site (including, where available, to email individual stories to friends directly from this site). You are also granted a limited license to print one copy of any Content posted at the site, but only for your personal use. Except as expressly provided above, all rights are reserved. Among other things, except to the extent required for the limited purpose of reviewing material on our site, electronic reproduction, adaptation, distribution, performance or display is prohibited. Changes to or deletion of author attribution or copyright notices are prohibited. Commercial use of any of the Content is strictly prohibited. Use of any of our trademarks as metatags on other web sites also is strictly prohibited. You may not display this Web site in frames (or any of the Content via in-line links) without our express written permission, which may be requested by contacting us through our feedback form. You may, however, establish ordinary links to our site without our written permission.
3. Links. We may provide links from our site to other sites as a convenience to our visitors. We have no control over linked sites and make no representations about any content or material available at these locations. Links are not intended to imply sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement.
4. Discussion Boards and other self-publishing 3rd party products. Although we do not have any obligation to monitor these services, or this self-published content, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us in our sole discretion and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We also reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.
5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF THIS WEB SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THERE IS NO WARRANTY THAT YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THIS SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE; OR THAT ANY PARTICULAR RESULTS MAY BE OBTAINED BY USE OF THIS SITE. THIS SITE IS MADE AVAILABLE ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR OTHERWISE, OTHER THAN THOSE WHICH ARE IMPLIED BY AND INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION, RESTRICTION, OR MODIFICATION UNDER THE LAWS APPLICABLE TO THIS AGREEMENT. NEITHER WE NOR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY PROVIDING CONTENT VIA THIS SITE SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
6. Modifications/Termination. The terms of this agreement will not be modified on an individual basis. You agree that we may modify the terms of this Agreement (or discontinue this site) in our sole discretion, without advance notice, and that your right to access this site is conditioned on an ongoing basis with your compliance with the then-current version of these Terms and Conditions. You should therefore visit this page frequently.
7. Jurisdiction. This Web site is hosted on servers located in the United States and is intended to be viewed by residents of the United States. In the event of any dispute arising out of or relating to this site, you agree that the exclusive venue for litigating disputes shall be in state or federal court in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the “Report Abuse” option.
Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.
Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.